Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all hi to everyone and thanks for helping me out!

I'm using Windows 7 and am desperately trying to share my internet with another laptop which is in reach (less than 30 feet away).

Of course there are several threads and help on the internet but none helped so far after an hour of research.

I have laptop 1 connected via a cable to a router with which I'm using cable internet (so it's not a wireless router). Laptop 1 is therefore connected to the internet. In order to use the internet on laptop 2 to the same time I'd like to share the signal from laptop 1. I created a home network successfully, connect it on laptop 1, also connect to it from laptop 2 successfully but the internet is not shared. What possibly do I do wrong? (it's not too far away or anything like that).

Does it have anything to do that I have to connect laptop 1 with a cable to the router?

·
Enthusiast
4,527 Posts
If your cable router has more than one ethernet-port, simply connect 'laptop 2' to a spare ethernet-port on the router (with, obviously, an ethernet cable from the router to 'laptop 2's' ethernet port.

That's the whole point of having a router, since it does away with the need to set up home networking just for sharing a single connection between two computers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately it only has one port for an ethernet cable (rest would be for telephones).

Is there another chance I can solve that?

·
Premium Member
41,819 Posts
Unfortunately it only has one port for an ethernet cable (rest would be for telephones).
You do not have a router then, that would just be a modem. You can either contact your ISP and get a wireless modem/router. (they usually will charge your far less this way) or you can go to a computer store and get a wireless router. Plug your one Ethernet cable out of the modem into the Router set it up. Then you can have up to 4 wired connections and set up the wireless so all laptops can connect wirelessly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help. Embarassing to say but apparently I simply had just a modem but not a router...

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
The ethernet cable from the modem would plug into the "WLAN" AKA "Internet" or "Wide Area Network" port into the router, Then the ethernet cables to connect each pc from the router would plugging into the LAN AKA Local Area Network (Your Network) ports marked 1, 2, 3, and 4.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again for your help! I bought a router for 20 EUR and things are sorted out. Currently enjoying my new wireless freedom...

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
We are glad to help. I recommend that you use WEP or WPA encryption to protect your WIFI connect from eavesdropping (Leeching) on your internet.

·
Networking Team Emeritus
7,376 Posts
Prefarably use WPA2 AES if router and wireless adapters/s support it, else use WPA TKIP please do not use WEP as it has been cracked years ago and can be done in minutes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.