Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OS=WinXP Pro, 64-bit, installed on drive partition "D:\".

Have tried "sfc /scannow", following instructions online as follows:
1) copied folder I386 to "D:\"
2) Regedit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup>ServicePackSourcePath, where I changed location to "D:\".
3) Restarted computer, re-tried "sfc /scannow", after which still got "...need XP CD for more..."This was supposed to prevent the latter request for the CD, which didn't work for me anyway.
Will any of this work, specifically in XP 64-bit?
I need to check my system for errors: can you help to get sfc working for me?
Thanks in advance.
Art Miller

·
Microsoft MVP
3,339 Posts
Did you also change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup - SourcePath to D:\?
And does the CD have the same service pack as is installed on the PC?

·
Helper
4,126 Posts
In my registry for that area in a 32 bit XP, I have, among a few other things:

DriverCachePath REG_EXPAND_SZ %SystemRoot%\Driver Cache (which is C:\Windows\Driver Cache)

ServicePackCachePath REG_SZ C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\ServicePackCache

ServicePackSourcePath REG_SZ C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles

SourcePath REG_SZ E:\

So you need all those entered/changed to appropriate D: values and locations.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I apologize if you thought I was being unreceptive.

My only point is that my registry, in 64-bitXP, does not show any entry named "SourcePath", under the "Setup" heading, so I'm unable to change it.

Art

·
Microsoft MVP
3,339 Posts
Don't know why that would be missing in x64 vs x86. Vista x64 has the SourcePath entry.

You can always just add it.

Right click in the Right pane, point to New, click String
Name it SourcePath (Case Sensitive)
Double click to enter the path.

Did the i386 folder come from a CD that includes the current Service Pack you have installed, or a folder with the SP files integrated? If not, you'll need to integrate the SP2 files into the i386 folder
How to integrate Windows XP Service Pack 2 files into the Windows XP installation folder

While the article was written for 32 bit XP, the steps are the same, just use the x64 filename (WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB914961-SP2-x64-ENU.exe unless you change it).
SP2 can be downloaded from here: Service Pack 2 for Xp x64

HTH

Jerry

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input. Now, I've made the additions to "Setup" in registry as directed above, using D: as the destination in each case.

I restarted the computer, tried "sfc /scannow" again, but message asked for XP64 CD again, from which to copy certain files. I inserted the CD in CD drive. Another dialog asked for the source drive, but wouldn't accept "G:\ etc.", so I copied the I386 folder into D:, and tried again. No luck.

Tried to Restore computer to earlier time: wouldn't work, either in normal or Safe Mode.

What do you think is wrong here?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't know what's wrong in the registry - I couldn't get that fix to work either.. but there's a far easier way to get sfc to work.

When the scan runs and finds files that need to be replaced, it looks in Windows > System32 > dllcache for the file before trying to get it from the CD. All you have to do is drop the files from the i386 folder into there (making sure you get the ones from the correct service pack) & it'll run without a problem.

If you want, you can also look at the Event Viewer after sfc runs to see exactly which files it's trying to replace & selectively place those files in the cache rather than dumping them all in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've done as you recommend, copied all files from "I386" folder into "dllcache" in D:\Windows\System32, then ran sfc /scannow again: still no success. I received the same old error message "Files that are required ...insert Service Pack 2 CD-ROM now", even though I followed your instructions.

After that, I also looked at the Event Viewer. The latest entry says "W.F.P. event 94018 "WFP file scan was cancelled by user interaction, user name as Administrator." I cancelled only after getting the above message re: "insert CD".

Any other ideas?

Is there perhaps some other switch instead of "scannow" which I should use with "sfc"?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I forgot to mention that you need to extract the drivers from the .cab files located in the i386. I use WinRAR - but other zip programs can probably handle them too. Try that and let me know if it works.

To see the file names in Event Viewer, you need to hit cancel at the CD prompt, but allow the scan to complete. That should generate the entries.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, I found "*.cab" files in "WFXSCLNT.CAB" in the "I386" folder, opened WinZIP, where they were listed by file name, then initiated "Extract to.." BUT, when it searched for the directory to which to extract the files, "dllcache" didn't show up as being in the "System32" folder!

So, where instead should I extract those CAB files to?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have "show hidden folders" set in Control Panel: therefrore, shouldn't "dllcache" show in Sytem32"? Let's say I extract the files from I386 to the Desktop (as you suggest). Then, how can I find "dllcache" to place them in if that foldder is hidden (in spite of my setting in Control Panel)?

This seems circular to me, so I need further assistance.

Thanks in advance.

·
Microsoft MVP
3,339 Posts
Hmm, the link is working for me, in Firefox anyways, but it's not appearing as other links
Here it is again.
Service Pack 2 for Windows XP Professional, x64 Edition
And here is a link to an article that lists the download links:
Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2

And you might find the drivers.cab file in C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386, along with an SP2.cab file. Xp can open them without any 3rd party tools.
If you do have both files, extract the drivers.cab file first, then the sp2.cab file and let it overwrite the existing files.

dllcache is both hidden and system, so you also need to check this setting in Folder Options | View
Display the contents of system folders
and uncheck this one:
Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)

If the folder is truly missing, you may have to create it and then set the attributes from the command prompt.

HTH

Jerry

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gentlemen,

I already have Folder Options eet to show both System adnHidden folders/files, but still cannot see the subject.

I've now spent the better part of a week following this thread and downloading and following various Microsoft papers and instructions on this and Windows Installer problems, all to no avail (none of MS's directions work as stated, at least in my situation).

I think it's time I reinstall Windows XP x64 and hope for the best.

Thank you all for your efforts to help.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.