Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, I'm encountering an error very similar to this thread:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/f10/page_fault_in_nonpage_-area-error-setupdd-sys-190514.html

After the EULA agreement it shows that the 160 SATA Maxtor drive has 0 MB available, even though the BIOS recognizes it. You try to do anything at this point, install, delete/create partition you get the setupdd.sys BSOD. I try again using F6 during XP setup and the third party SATA drivers from diskette, no luck.

The HDD's themselves are fine, as I have tested them with Win XP on this system, as I have the original functional 120GB WinXP boot HDD (Maxtor SATA), which I'm trying to replace with a 500 GB Western Digital (that the BIOS refuses to detect)... but can't even get XP to work on the old 160 GB secondary drive. Note: I went into BIOS and changed the default SATA setting of RAID to IDE, I thought I had figured it out, wrong again! :upset:

The motherboard is an Asus K8V Deluxe (BIOS updated) and I've heard of general SATA issues with older Asus boards, but any suggests would be appreciated. The next thing I plan to try is switching, disconnecting, swapping the optical drives.

Eventually I may have to give up and simply get an IDE HDD,
which will likely work without issue.

·
Moderator; Hardware
19,884 Posts
Is the HDD you are trying to install to designated as the "C:" drive? I've had several motherboards that have install quirks when using IDE devices and trying to install XP onto a SATA drive. If the SATA drive you are trying to install to is not the C: drive, the install will likely fail.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the HDD you are trying to install to designated as the "C:" drive? I've had several motherboards that have install quirks when using IDE devices and trying to install XP onto a SATA drive. If the SATA drive you are trying to install to is not the C: drive, the install will likely fail.
I set it up in XP made it (Active) and without a drive letter assigned.

But the problem was more basic than I expected. The motherboards RAID SATA connections were up top, and Pri./Sec. SATA was below, the opposite of my normal experience. Switched it to the Pri. connection, I think I had to go back to XP and make it non-active, then it worked.

Thanks for the reply, and I'll keep that in mind too if I encounter it again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.