Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I go about setting up RAID on my system??

I tried to set it up from the beginning when I set my new system up a few weeks ago. I have two 120GB Seagate Barracuda SATA disks on my Asus P4C800 E Deluxe motherboard. The disks are connected to SATA 1 and 2 on the board (ie. NOT the RAID ports).

When I first tried to set it up I could form the the RAID alright... but lets just say that since I couldn't boot from my windows CD (for some reason it is not bootable) I had to start from a win98 startup disk. And Fdisk has a serious problem with one 240GB partition??

After two days of trouble I just deleted the RAID stuff and formatted my drives as normal. Now everything works fine... but I have not yet given up on getting those two drive in a RAID formation.

So what do I do... ?

·
Registered
376 Posts
My guess is he's going after improved performance.

I've got the same motherboard with my two drives attached to the regular SATA 1 and 2 ports as well. RAID is new to me, and I'd also like to learn how to make the most of the RAID options this board has to offer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope to improve read and write speed considerably with a RAID configuration. Not sure I really need it... but hey... who really needs to overclock? ;)

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I think you'll end up regretting it. :) I see lots of messages where people get the RAID running, then have a problem and loose everything. I'd use one of those disks for a backup...

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
When I first tried to set it up I could form the the RAID alright... but lets just say that since I couldn't boot from my windows CD (for some reason it is not bootable)
Have you solved this CD boot problem? What was the symptom?

I had to start from a win98 startup disk. And Fdisk has a serious problem with one 240GB partition...but I have not yet given up on getting those two drive in a RAID formation.
Now that you have your WinXP working, make a startup disk from that. I reckon it won't have a problem with that big partition!

But making a DOS startup disk alone is the easy part-- you may need format and fdisk tools on the floppy also. I think you can get format.com from your XP, but I am not so sure about fdisk. If you can't get CD booting to work, I'd recommend you download the 6 setup disks from Microsoft; see the KB article Obtaining Windows XP Setup Boot Disks.

Disclaimer: I don't do RAID.

Since you were already successful in setting up Intel RAID0 before, you should be able to do it again.

According to Intel (Readme.txt) in the IAA folder on your Asus mobo CD, "if you are installing the operating system onto a RAID volume, you must pre-install the RAID driver using the F6 method". I was going to run you through this, but then I realized I don't know what I'm talking about on it, so I'll just give this note above. You can view the Readme file and decide from there.

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.