Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a small home office with 4 users. (2 Macs and 2 PC). Currently we have a PC server, but really only used as a file server. (server does not do the DHCP - the router does). Its a centralized file storage for all of us to work on the common files and archives.

We would like to replace this server (variety of reasons - space being the biggest). However, since we don't really need a "server", we are looking to replace it with network storage. However, backup and stability is important to us. So RAID1 is a necessity and also remote access from outside of the office.

The "genius" at the Apple Store recommended to us replacing our router wit Airport Extreme, and together with MobileMe and the LaCie 2Big Quadra 2Tb. Plug the LaCie USB to the Airport Extreme and with MobileMe, we have remote access.

However, the remote access only works with the Mac and not with the PCs which are the ones that will likely remote access 90% of the time. In the office, it is the Macs the dominate though.

Doing some further research online, I see that LaCie has a network RAID drive (LaCie 2big Network) or the Drobo together with DroboShare would allow access. Also that wouldn't need MobileMe nor replacing my current router (D-Link DIR-655). Would that not make better sense?

I'm asking for input into these suggestions as well as any other ideas. The following are most important:

File Storage and safety and ease of backup
Remote Access
Compatability with PC and Mac
Password Security - restriction of who can access the drive or particular files.

Thanks and appreciate all your insights and wisdom.

Jonathan

·
Macintosh Methodology Wizard - TSF Retired
13,608 Posts
I wouldn't go replacing your router and getting MobileMe. If you have found a solution that works for the Windows PCs, then the Macs should be able to connect the same way.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.