Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I need to get help urgently. I have just relised that there are 4 computers using my unsecured wireless connection, there should only be two. Can anyone help me in setting up a WEP key? I will provide as much infomation as possible so this can be resolved quickly. Thanks in advance.

I have a D-Link router, this is the product infomation:

Product Information
Product Information
Model Number DSL-G604T
Ethernet MAC 00:0F:3D:B4:13:83
DSL MAC N/A
AP MAC 00:0f:3d:b4:13:84
Software Versions
Gateway V1.00B02T02.UK.20040618
ATM Driver 4.01.00.00
DSL HAL 1.01.00.00
DSL Datapumps 1.01.00.00 Annex A
SAR HAL 01.06.06 s
PDSP Firmware 0.49
Wireless Firmware 0.3.16.13
Wireless APDK 5.5.20
Wireless Driver 1.1.2
Boot Loader 0.22.02

I have found where to set up the WEP key, but I'm not sure how to do it. I found it here:

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. I will be checking for replys often.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Select "Authentication Type" and post what choices you have, then we will move on.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Right, sorry got confused earlier.

First of all, you want WPA security NOT WEP. WEP is breakable, a lot more so than WPA.

Select WPA then can you post a screen of what you have?

Cheers.

Sorry about this but its different for each type of router and I have a Netgear.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Select PSK String.

And then enter a string of letters and numbers.

Then click apply.

You will then have to enter the string into each computer, so make it something memorable, but only you will know.

I dont think theres a limit on how many characters it needs to be, just try it and post back.

:)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, I don't think that it did anything. First of all when I clicked apply this appeared:

I just clicked okay.

Then I disabled my net on my laptop, then tried to connect to the network again and it worked. I didn't need to enter anything in. I went back to the PSK string and it still had my password/numbers in there. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Do you have one network in the house?

I trying to work out why it came up with that error.

Shutdown the computer that isnt wired to the router. And then apply a WPA-PSK key and reboot the wired computer. Then turn both computers on, and see if everything works.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, well I'm trying to turn it off now and it wont allow me, It tells me "Invalid SSID". The box for the SSID is blank, what is suposed to be there?

·
Registered
273 Posts
The name of your network.

For now, type in DLINK1.

Then reboot everything.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, I turned the others off and set it up on the wired computer but still nothing. Any other ideas on a way to secure the network?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Wheres johnwill when you need him. lol.

Try this:

Shutdown the wireless computer.

On the wired computer:

Make sure you have 1 connection running

The SSID is entered

The WPA-PSK is entered.

Apply the settings.

Turn off the wired computer.

Turn off the router.

Wait 5 mins.

Turn the router back on.

Turn the wired computer back on.

Turn the wireless computer back on.

Post back and gd luck.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay thank you, I will have to try that later as now my brother is using the net on the other computer. Thank you :D

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
I think it's time to reset the router to factory defaults and start over. :smile:

All you should have to do is go into the wireless setup, set WPA encryption, and use a long random key (20 char or more, letters and numbers) for a key. Turn off 802.1x authentication, select PSK-String and enter the encryption string.

Use the same string for the workstations and enable the same options there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.