Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Setting up a proxy to view international content

4K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Unit Twentyfive 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I'm in Canada, and I'm trying to get access to comedycentral.com and (more specifically) their video-clips which get posted to random websites (stumbleupon, etc).

They have a setup where anyone IN Canada is automatically redirected to the Canadian comedy television website www.thecomedynetwork.com and any videoclips on the internet (highlights from The Daily Show, for example) are replaced with a black window saying "Comedy Central videos in Canada are available on The Comedy Network's website." :upset:

I'm sure these networks have their reasons (read: advertising revenue), but I could care less. I just want to see the clip that's on the site I'm reading.

I installed Foxy Proxy into Firefox, but I'm not really certain how to work proxies and all of that. I can technically follow along if I have instructions, but as far as figuring out Comedy Central's IP address (if I even have to do that) and arranging white-lists and exceptions... I'm lost.

If anyone has set this up (or knows another alternative), please let me know. Thanks!

~Joe

See less See more
#2 ·
Just in case anyone comes looking for the same thing... I found this elsewhere, and it worked for me, but only if using Firefox

For Canadian viewers, if you are using firefox, install the following addon:
http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/967 then:

1) In Firefox, Go to tools->modify headers
2) From the drop down box on the left select add
3) Then enter: “X-Forwarded-For” in the first input box without the quotation marks
4) Enter: “12.13.14.15″ in the second input box without the quotation marks
5) Leave the last input box empty, and save the filter, and enable it
6) Click the ‘Configuration’ tab on the right then proceed to check the ‘always on’ button.

Close the Modify Headers box and it should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.