Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I own an Edimax router and I am interested in configuring one of my computers on the network as a DMZ, as in letting it connect to the net directly, not behind the protections of the router.

I tried doing that, but it didn't seem to have any effect - all the ports were still protected behind the router (I don't have ANY software firewalls or anti-viruses that imght block it). I tried setting up another computer as a DMZ and it worked fine.

Is there something I need to configre on my computer or the router to let it work? thanks in advance.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Are you sure the address of the computer that you're attempting to put in the DMZ is correct? Can you PING this computer from another computer on the network?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The address is correct.

How exactly do you ping a computer from a different one?
Someone that was helping me around tried to do that and indeed he couldn't. I changed my static IP manually, and it fixed it - but perhaps its not working again.

If I can't ping it from another computer, what does it mean? what should I do about it?

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Open a command prompt and do this:

PING <ip_add>
or
PING <computer_NAME>

Your router may not have MAC<->IP reservations, and if so, it'll assign the IP addresses randomly depending on when the computer connects. If that is the case, using a manually configured IP address is the way to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.