Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you set up a way for your computer to shut down on its own after a certain amount of time or according to the current time

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Hi OtisFrost..

there are a number of freeware programs which you can use to schedule shutdowns, reboots etc at certain times. The best one I can think of is Karen's Show Stopper which you can get from here. She has made quite a few handy applications so the website is well worth checking out.

You can also use Window's own scheduler to program a shutdown or reboot event. To do that, please follow these instructions:

- Click Start -> Run -> type:
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe ::{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}
- Click OK
- That will launch Scheduled Tasks
- Click 'Add Scheduled Task' then click Next
- Then browse to shutdown.exe which is located in C:\Windows\system32\
- Then you can choose a name for the task and when to run i.e, daily, weekly, monthly etc then click Next
- Choose the time/date of the task then click Next
- Then you will be prompted for your password so that the task can run with your credentials then click Next
- Place a check in 'Open advanced properties for this task when I click finish' then click Finish
- Now in the run box, you can edit whether you want to shutdown/reboot etc
- To shutdown, change the C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe line to:
%windir%\system32\SHUTDOWN.exe -s -t 01
- That will program a shutdown with a 1 second countdown but you can change the countdown by replacing the 01 with your preference
- If you want to schedule a reboot, you will need to change the C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe line to:
%windir%\system32\SHUTDOWN.exe -r -t 01
- That will set a reboot with a 1 second countdown but again, you can change that if you like
- Click Apply/OK to save any changes and it's set

It's a bit trickier doing it the latter way so it's up to you which method you want to use.

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the very useful help I think I'll go with the first one

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.