Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have linux running on an embedded system.

The linux distro is Debian 10 Buster
The HW is imx8 - mini.

The issue is the following :

1. I connect to the embedded hw via serial port and then connect to the wifi network , via nmcli commands.
2. At this point with wifi up, I can ping servers and ssh to the embedded hw
3. I then set the IP address of eth0 interface to given static address (it connects to an object without DHCP),
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.45 netmask 255.255.255.0 up. I want to be able to do this via the command line.
4. I do a ifconfig to see the address is set, and it is.
5. Thereafter I can't ping other servers or ssh to the embedded despite the ifconfig showing the wlan0 address as active and set.
6. If I remove the ethernet cable, the wifi begins working again.
7. If I then reinsert the cable, I am back to having no wifi.

Any ideas on what is happening here that can help me resolve this matter will be greatly appreciated. At point 3 I have also did a nmcli radio wifi off/on, and ifconfig wlan0 down/up, but to no avail.

Thanks

Rochus

·
Manager, - Alternative Computing, - Design
6,519 Posts
Hi, thank you for being patient with me while I come up with a solution for you or at least a start to a solution. First let me say that it has been a long time since I have run Debian, and I don't think that I have ever used nmcli. That being said I found a nice little tutorial that should help you out a little bit. You may have already done all of these step and if so I'm sorry for posting it. But this gives me a place to start from and we can definitely go from there.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thank you for being patient with me while I come up with a solution for you or at least a start to a solution. First let me say that it has been a long time since I have run Debian, and I don't think that I have ever used nmcli. That being said I found a nice little tutorial that should help you out a little bit. You may have already done all of these step and if so I'm sorry for posting it. But this gives me a place to start from and we can definitely go from there.

Cheers!
Hi wmorri,

Thanks for the great link. I will give it a go. I did find a way to set IP address to be static, but this looks more correct. Many thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts