Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

My school's waitlist is opening in a week and I want to maximize my chances of getting in because normally it is very difficult to. My browser speeds are not my main issue. The problem is that IE will time out after about 20-30 seconds of trying to load the page (since the school's server is flooded). If this happens I have to reload, which could send me back all the way to the start if I get timed out at one of the final registration pages. I want IE to keep going until it gets through to any page I'm on so I don't have this issue, is there any way to do this?

EDIT I have IE6 BTW. If IE7 helps with this issue I will definitely upgrade.

Thanks

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
I would suggest getting Firefox 2.0: http://www.mozilla.org/download.html

If your comp times out, its a connection issue depending on your connection or the servers of the particular site. If they're busy, or overloaded; there's nothing you could do about that because anyone else will also have the same problem.

You can maxmize this opportunity with Firefox though, although its not a solution.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I do normally use firefox but my school's website does not work with it (I've tried before and it gives errors when I try to fill the waitlist form) I can use either netscape or IE. Any advice about one of those?

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Since I haven't used Netscape since 2002, I couldn't tell you about that one.

Well if the school site is so MS dependent it works out to be detrimental to students. I reckon you should stick with IE with this one.

I'll try finding out if there is something for ya out there. :smile:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It seems you are right Joe. I never use netscape so I mistakenly "remembered" that netscape was an option when it wasn't. The website says it "is best viewed with Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher" (which, at least for firefox, means it does not work with the other browsers)

and thanks for looking Kalim :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to have to revise my revision; the site does allow netscape. It doesn't say anywhere until a failed login attempt and then this appears:

"Browser Alert: This website only supports Internet Explorer (version 5.5 to 6.0) and Netscape 6.X or higher."

Do you guys think Netscape handles timeouts better than IE?

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Get Firefox it should work as they have the same base source coding. Its higher than Netscape 6.x. You can tweak that and use the "auto fill" aswell. You can also keep the option to have "saved form details".. so if it times out, you'll be able to get back on it and just type in the first letter and the rest will appear in a downward opening box.

Firefox 2.0.0.1: http://www.mozilla.org/download.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Firefox is the only one I'm sure does not work. I know because I tried it last semester and it always displays an error (the same thing happened to other people I talked to)

What do you thik about the other two? Any advice about netscape?

THanks

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Sorry, no idea as I haven't used it ever since 7.x. With IE I hardly ever use it.
I was recommending Fx because I'm aware of tweaks possible for this to be added to the coding. No idea of IE at this moment in time.

Hope you get through there well and maybe someone knows better here

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.