Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i attempted to install service pack two on my acer travelmate 2001XC laptop. i reached the point of restarting my computer and when it loaded up again the taskbar and icons flash on and off. i can only use the taskbar for a few seconds before it disappears again. i have tried using system restore and going into safe mode. on both occasions it reached the desktop and then returns to the dialogue box which asks me whether i want to go into sytem restore or safe mode. Thus i don't know how to fix the problem because i don't have access to anyhting for long enough. My user manual is utterly useless. i have three disks two of which are for recovery and one is entitled system disk. what i can do with these i don't know. the recovery disk does not start a program when i put it in, it just opens explorer to some files of which type i can't remember (the recovery disk was put in the drive when i thad a different problem thats been solved). now i can't use it. thanks to the useless manual i don't know whether they are useful or not (the manual makes no refernce to them anywhere).

thanks in advance. sorry for the hassle

Stuart

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well, If you Can manage the start menu long enough (if not try pressing the windows logo key) Go to Start, All Programs, then to Accessories, the to command prompt.

Here, You will type:

SFC/scannow

BEFORE YOU DO THIS

Insert your Original XP disk (for installation, not your SP2 Disk) into your drive.

This will replace any Damaged System files with fresh copies.

Post your results!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don't have an xp disk, though i don't know if the acer system disk will serve the same purpose. is it possible to uninstall service pack 2? the methods ive looked up so far need to much time with the taskbar so its not possible. what can i do without an xp disk?

thanks for your help

Stuart

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If you have a C:\i386 folder, then you probably won't need the CD. Tell us if this folder exists.

You should also make sure you thoroughly scan your system for viruses and spyware before attempting to install SP2. I have a list of programs you can try in my signature if you wish. Also, read the following SP2 Checklist.

If you need to uninstall the program, follow these directions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.