Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am i able to use a different processor in a duel processor motherboard to the other one installed. for example it currently has a p3 433mhz processor in it can i put a a faster p3 processor in the other processor socket.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I don't think so, if they have differen't FSB's and processes support, you'll most likely confuse the heck out of the computer.

What motherboard do you have? I have two spare 800mhz P3's laying around i'm not doing anything with. If it'll support them, i'd be willing to part with them.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Intel never made a P3 433MHz. They did however make a celeron 433MHz.

On a dual processor MB, both processors have to be the same stepping.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think so, if they have differen't FSB's and processes support, you'll most likely confuse the heck out of the computer.

What motherboard do you have? I have two spare 800mhz P3's laying around i'm not doing anything with. If it'll support them, i'd be willing to part with them.
i have an old server that was originally in a rack it is a quad CPU Compaq Proliant 6400R Rackmount Server Unit, the xeon chips are p3 550mhz.

i was just trying to find out because i have a p3 900 cpu spare and was just wundering if i could swop it for one of the xeons.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Xeons are not compatible with P3 boards. If you use a multiple processor setup, all processors must be the same speed and same stepping.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Yea, he's right they're not compatible. Just figured i'd try, i'm not using the chips!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.