Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am unable to connect to certain servers at work from home using Verizon DSL, and Verizon VPN. I have no trouble connecting to internet with laptop computer at home, and can successfully connect to VPN, and email server from home to work. When I try to connect to any other server besides email server , which I do have full permission on all servers to connect, I get an unable to acccess message, already in use. If I use dial up vs. DSL at home I have no connection problem and can access al servers. I also can connect at a freinds house, where she has high speed cable modem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as to how to troubleshoot this problem
Operating system is Windows XP SP2
Windows Server 2000
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
A little confused here??

First statement - "I am unable to connect to certain servers at work from home using Verizon DSL, and Verizon VPN. "

Second statement - "I have no trouble connecting to internet with laptop computer at home, and can successfully connect to VPN, and email server from home to work."

Assume you are saying you can VPN to work e-mail server, but not others? And dial up or non Verizon connection works?

Could it possibly be a IP address conflict with you home network?? Are there private IP addresses for your other work servers?

JamesO

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Server Access Problems

I can can connect to internet, and I can log on and connect to VPN from home. I am able to connect to email server, but no other severs from home to work. If I use dial up, I can connect to all servers at work from home, and if I use high speed cable, I can access all servers. The odd thing is that two other people where I work have Verizon DSL, and one of them can connect to all servers, and other person has the same problem that I have.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
By any chance do you have the Verizon Internet Security Suite installed??

Also what happens when you attempt to ping the servers you cannot connect to??

JamesO

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not have Verizon security suite installed. I am able to successfully ping IP address of server from home to work. Verizon Tech support has been no help so far, and I have been trying to resolve this problem for about a month. Any additional troubleshooting advice would be appreciated. Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
What is the private server IP address you are trying to access?

You may have an IP address conflict?

JamesO

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
OK, so I assume your home network is nowhere close to this subnet?

Is the server you cannot connect to on the same subnet as your other work servers?

Seems to me that if you can ping the server, you should be able to connect?? I understand you claim you can connect via dial up and also another worker via cable can connect?

Make sure you do not have any sort of firewall issue, or you may need to add a rule to your firewall for the specific IP addresses you are trying to VPN to.

JamesO

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had someone else from work who has Verizon DSL bring my laptop home with them and it works at their house. I have since replaced modem with a brand new one, and still am having the same problem. I have Westell Versalink 327W modem/router, as well as Westell 6100. I cannot figure out what the problem is.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Only other thing I can assume is you have a lot of packet loss or latency with your connection??

Run a speed test and see what results you get.

Run a trace route from your work colleagues home and your house and compare routes and times. As well as compare ping performance to the work server.

Again, make sure you rule out an IP address conflict with your home LAN and the work LAN.

JamesO

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I gave up on the Verizon supplied Westell modems, and purchased a Zoom X6 DSL Gateway, and I no longer have any problems. Thank you for taking the time to assist me in troubleshooting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Verizon's position is that the server/firewall I am trying to connect with at work is blocking a port that the Westell modem requires. When I asked Verizon which port the modem uses they could not answer and said I would need to talk to IT person where I work. IT person at work says that there are no ports being blocked by work server/firewall. First time I plugged in Zoom DSL gateway it worked fine, and I did not have to change any settings.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I have seen some other complaints of similar situations with VPN's and Verizon, but never really was able to get to the bottom of the problem.

Maybe there is something funny in the modem??

I support a site to site VPN over 2 DSL lines with a Westell 2100 modem on one end and everything is working as expected. I guess i am lucky for the moment?

JamesO

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.