Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have a small problem - i'va a problem with my windows domain controller and it wont let me installor uninstall anything, also wont let me open most the programs.

Now i want to re-install to sort all this out BUT dont want to loose everything in AD or G Policies. How would i go about doing this? if anyone has iny ideas i would be most greatful.

If it's any help do have another computer as a secondry Domain Controler on the same domain. and all the userprofiles software installationssare svaed on a seperate hard disk in the master domain controller.

Also keep getting the following error

Quote:
Error 1402. Could notopen key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run.
verify you have sufficient access to the key, or contact your support personel.

Cheers in advance

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Assuming you have admin rights, is this a windows error? Have you check the event logs?
Rebuilding a domain controller is the very last resort. You don't know if you will experience the same problems on the new one. It is usually best to fix the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is whenever i try installing or uninstalling ANY software i get that error.

in regedit i try to look at the key and it says could not open key.

then network is a small network of 9 computers 2 of which have windows server and run as domain controllers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
a live domain (BUT if it is down for a few days that is no problem as it is only for a scout group not a company or anything)

by the way this is happening when logged on locally was administrator.

roles running are

AD
File Server
Print Server
DHCP
WINS
DNS

IIS (wont install comes up with error)

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
To replace the domain controller.

Make sure the second domain controller has all the FSMO roles and global catalog.
Update all clients to pull from the second DC.
Demote the first DC and remove from the network.
Rebuild it installing DNS, DHCP, etc.
Promote it to DC.
AD and DNS will replicate from the other DC.
Monitor the event logs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how would i move fsmo roles and thecatalogue and how do i change where the workstations look?

i am reasonably new to servers and still learning

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
It's been a while since I have done this but I'll try and guide you through it. Just to let you know that I am at work so there may be times I will not be able to answer the posts as fast.
For the FSMO roles I keep forgetting where it is in the GUI, but here's how for the command line:

click Start then Run then type the following - return after each line.
ntdsutil
roles
connections
connect to domain <domain name>
connect to server <new server name>
quit
Transfer domain naming master
Transfer infrastructure master
Transfer PDC
Transfer RID master
Transfer schema master

For the Global Catalog, open Active Directory Sites and Services, expand Sites, expand <domain>, expand Servers, click on the domain controller that you want to have the Global Catalog, on the right pane right click on the NTDS Settings and go to the properties, click the check box for Global Catalog and click OK.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
You will need to make sure you have DHCP on the second server. In the options, make sure that DNS is pointing to the second server. This way the clients know where to resolve DNS queries and not trying to look for the first server. Monitor event logs for about a week then add the new server to the options for DNS servers. Be sure that both servers are set up with static IPs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.