Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've got problem that is due to my own stupidity, I hope someone can help me with a easy fix. One of my Exchange 2003 servers that is part of a cluster ran out of space on c:\. I've failed the cluster over and the users can work, but I'm unable to remote to the server due to the c:\ being full. The server is in a secure building and getting to the server will take a while. Can anyone help me. Is there any easy fix?

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Short of connecting to the server's C: drive (\\server\c$, C$ being the default hidden share of C:) and deleting some temp files to free up enough space to log on, I'm not sure unless you're at the computer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you djaburg, we eventually found out that is was another problem. We get an error message on some of our servers stating that there is "insufficient storage space" on server. We've checked the HDD's and all are fine. After restarting the server, everything works fine, but after some hours or days up and running we get the same error. This causes our cluster to fail over and recently cause our mailbox databases to corrupt

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
If you're running exchange, there are log files that are created that progressively use up more space until you run ntbackup (or other backups that work with exchange) and specify you want it to backup exchange. These files are records of transactions that are used when exchange does a recovery. It assumes you have a starting point that was created during the backup and then will replay the logs to recover the message store. Those files are deleted at the end of the backup process. I've had several Gb's freed after running a backup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We are still looking at the problem, but time is running out for us. Let me explain quickly what we found. Our cluster will fail over and the one server will stop responding. If you are logged on to the server, you can still work, but will get errors saying "Unable to process command/process due to low storage space". If you try to connect, you get the same. Note: There is sufficient space on all the HHD's and memory on the server. After we restart the server, all seems to be fine, for a while. We are suddenly getting this on 60% of our servers

·
Registered
62 Posts
We are still looking at the problem, but time is running out for us. Let me explain quickly what we found. Our cluster will fail over and the one server will stop responding. If you are logged on to the server, you can still work, but will get errors saying "Unable to process command/process due to low storage space". If you try to connect, you get the same. Note: There is sufficient space on all the HHD's and memory on the server. After we restart the server, all seems to be fine, for a while. We are suddenly getting this on 60% of our servers
I would like to help but there is not enough information available here.

What is your hardware configuration cpu, RAM, disk system etc
What is installed in the server
swap file location and size
free space on each drive (did you set check disk and restarted?)
maintanance jobs running for exchange and other jobs?
Service packs installed (have you deleted all the rollback service pack stuff?)
what cluster tech are you using, symantec or microsoft?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.