Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off id like to thank anyone in advanced that can help me. Obviously im new to this forum so hopefully this is the right section for this question, if not im sorry.

Im by no means a "computer expert" but im not a newbie either. ive built quite a few computer systems in the past, but ive NEVER had the problems im having with this one.

Ive taken a few pictures to show the error screens i keep getting. although the quality may not be that great, im sure you can get the idea. Hopefully a mod can fix the picture codes since im new and cannot post them directly. Im trying to keep it short, but due to the amount of information ill be giving it may seems long, so bear with me.

OK... I bought an ASUS CUV4X-E board off eBay, and sent the BIOS chip out to have it updated (because i dont know how to). I got the BIOS back and installed it, and installed the board into a system i had waiting for it. When i would turn on the pc, the board would work fine, and scan/locate the drives. then i would get this error message...

Keep in mind this is with a brand new case, power supply, and cables. 3 different hard drives, 4 video cards, 2 CPU's, & 5 sticks of RAM. all are different sizes, and all are different brands. i tried them in different combinations with each other, and i still get that error screen. and i KNOW for a FACT all of these components work fine because i have been using them for a long time on my old system. i also tested them on a Gateway system individually and they all work. also one of the hard drives is brand new and doesnt even have windows installed on i yet and i still get that error. so i thought the board was bad, after all i did buy it off eBay.

so i bought a brand new board, the exact same model, ASUS CUV4X-E, with the already updated BIOS. and i had the exact same problem. but when i disconnect the hard drive and boot the PC, i dont get any error screens. it just tells me there is no hard drive attached(obviously). the SECOND i plug in ANY hard drive(i have 3), i get the same blue error screen. so it seems the probelm has to do with these boards and all 3 of my my hard drives.

so i thought i would try to boot the PC from a WinXP disc without a hard drive installed, it worked fine. as the WinXP disc was "loading" and checking the system hardware configuration as it always does before installing windows, as seen in thsi picture....

i plugged in the hard drive, and immediately get this error screen....

this happened with all 3 hard drives i have, 2 of them have Windows XP already installed and one is brand new with nothing installed. all 3 are different brands and sizes. so i unplugged the hard drive and restarted the computer and tried again. it booted the WinXP disc, and i waited until after the disc checked the system configuration. it then gets to this screen, like it should.....

i then plugged in the blank hard drive, and i did not get an error message, nothing happened at all, so i thought it would work this time. i pressed the enter key to "set up Windows XP now" and the next install screen shows up. but as you can see it does not recognize my hard drive as it should....

i preessed the enter key to "install" Windows XP anyways, just to see what it did, and i get this error screen which tells me to diasble any BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing, ect.....

so i disabled those as it said, i also diasbled the BIOS antivirus, and tried the process again, this time when the WinXP disc was "checking hardware configuration" it took MUCH longer than normal, about 10 minutes, but the end result was the same. a blue error screen with the same message.

now i am TOTALLY stumped. i have no clue whats wrong, and i have no idea how to fix it. am i missing something in the BIOS settings?

*i have tried this complete process with 2 different ASUS CUV4X-E boards, one of which is brand new, and i have the same problem.
*ive tried using 3 different hard drives, one of which is brand new. the other 2 i know for a FACT work perfectly fine and have no viruses or anything like that.
*ive tried using 4 different video cards, all are different brands and they range from 8mb up to 128mb.
*ive tried using 5 different sticks of RAM, different brands, and different sizes raging from 64mb to 256mb.
*Ive tried using 2 CPU's which i know for a fact work fine because i use them everyday on other PC's. one is a PIII 933mhz, and the other is a Celeron 466mhz.
*all the cables are brand new, and ive tried using old cables also.
*the power suplly and case are brand new, and ive also tried using an older power supply.
*the Windows XP is a legal copy which i use to reformat computers all the time with no problems.

if anyone can please help me understand what is wrong and how to fix it i would really appreciate it. if you need more information about anything just ask, i can take pictures also if needed. im pretty computer literate, so i should understand any help given, but when it comes to getting into the BIOS settings and stuff like that, i dont know much, so when talking about that try to keep the "technical talk" to a mininum and keep it in laymans terms.

thanks again in advanced to anyone that can help me get this problem fixed or at least understand wha the problem is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the disc works fine. i use it all the time, even after i tried these motherboards, also it gives me these errors even when the XP disc isnt in the computer. it only happens when i hook up a hard drive, one of them was brand new and didnt even have anything on it and it still gives errors.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Well I can appreciate your dilemma / however you need to slow down and dont try so many things at once.

step A: you must get your system bios to detect and list the drive correctly by its name and size prior to installing windows

does your bios detect the drive and correctly identify the drive during boot up ???

dont mess with any other drives other than the blank one / matter of fact I would try running a drive eraser prog on it first before the OS install
http://dban.sourceforge.net/ <<< download floppy version !!! and try that / This will give us a good oppurtunity to test your system other than installing windows !! only connect your empty drive while running Dban / it can erase multiple drives !!

is antivirus "disabled" in the bios ????????? it should be !!

You cant use hard drives that already have a OS installed on them from another machine / that just asking for trouble ~~ it will crash every time

Also clear the CMOS (read manual) then enter the bios and select the "restore bios defaults" after which you must select "exit & save"

is your bios set to AUTO IDE detection

what is the make and model of your PSU

post back with the results of above

regards

joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.