Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
someone i know has been threatened on msn, ive got a screenshot of what the attacker has said. what checks can be run to find this 'bot' and stop it.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
sounds like an idle threat from some sicko sadistic who likes to play headgames with people, however, to be sure, you could start out by travelling over to the hijackthis section, and having those guys run through a log.

that would tell you alot, and you could move on to other steps.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Yeah, it does sound like an idle threat from some idiot trying to play off of other people's (for lack of a better term) "ignorance". I also agree with WaltSide in that you should let the guys on the HijackThis forum inspect your computer for any signs of infection.

·
TSF Security Manager, Emeritus
52,197 Posts
In addition to Walt's advice, back up any valued data, just in case, and get a good firewall on that system to stealth the ports:

If you do not have a firewall, here are 3 free ones available for personal use:
It's likely just as Walt said, but prudent to cover the bases as well.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Yes thank you tetonbob, i noticed in the icon tray there wasn't any AV or firewall. I only saw one thign that could be one and i doubt it is :)
-Blitze

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
no, but they do have limewire running...

P2P applications are oftentimes an invitation for a good solid trojan or hijack.

they also have realplayer installed, which i worry about, although everyone says i am crazy...

·
52,197 Posts
Er...ummmm....

You guys see something I don't? The OP only has two threads here, none of which have a log...?

Got link?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
tetonbob said:
Er...ummmm....

You guys see something I don't? The OP only has two threads here, none of which have a log...?

Got link?
Try to keep up, tetonbob. They are looking at the screenshot. :grin:

·
52,197 Posts
LOL...thanks Res....my eyes are too old for that, I guess....and my screen res doesn't really pick all of that up.

<edit>Ok, Ok...I put into Paint and blew it up....LimeWire and Real, like the man said. No AV showing..... :4-thatsba </edit>

:redface:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.