Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help quite badly !!!

Some 3-4 months back I bought an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Card as per some advice. But since then life has been miserable. In normal circumstances the PC works perfectly fine. But as soon as I start playing games (any of the new games), after about an hour or two suddenly the Power Supply blows off !!! This happened twice in the beginning and as it was the rainy season at that time, I though that it might be causing it in some way... I know it sounds silly (Moisture and all that ******** as per the Hardware guy). When it happened for the third time, the power supply took the Processor and Motherboard along with it. After putting in lot of efforts, I somehow managed to claim the warranty for both and luckily I got a new Processor and Motherboard.
This time I used a 400W Power Supply of Company - IBOX, but yesterday even that blew off while playing FAR CRY. This keeps happening with me whenever I play games. I am tired of getting new Power Supplies everytime. What do think the problem might be ??? I know that it has something to do with the Graphic Card and Games for sure... isnt it?? Can there be some leakage of current in the Graphic Card or something ??? If that was the case then the computer shouldnt have started at all right ?? I dont think it would have waited for 2-3 hours to burn if there was some problem.
Do ATI Cards have this problem ??? Do you think 400W Power Supply is not good enough ??? but even if it was less, should it blow off ??

Please let me know ASAP on what you feel about this whole issue and what I should do ....I'll be waiting for replies on this one

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

We need a better picture of your complete computer like what motherboard, what CPU, what drives, the voltages for each rail of the power supply. Oh, and I could not find any power supply by that name. Could you provide more information so we can see what you have?

This information when posted should give us a better picture of what is happening to your unit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tumbleweed36 said:
Hi,

We need a better picture of your complete computer like what motherboard, what CPU, what drives, the voltages for each rail of the power supply. Oh, and I could not find any power supply by that name. Could you provide more information so we can see what you have?

This information when posted should give us a better picture of what is happening to your unit.
Sorry for not providing all the info -
CPU - Intel 3E Ghz P4 HT
MBD - 865GBF
RAM - 1GB
Graphic - ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AGP 8x
Samsung Hard Disk - 160GB
LG Dual Layer DVD Writer
Pinnacle TV Tuner Card
Dlink Modem
Lan Card
IBOX 400W PSU

I know the PSU might not be on the Net. The make might be some local Indian PSU manufacturer. But people here use PSUs and no body generally has any problems. Offshoure not everyone in India use good Graphic Cards so may be these Power supplies are not tested well. But however my whole confusion is that whether the problem is with the PSU or the Graphic Card ???
Even if we consider that the PSU is not good enough then should it just blow off ??? As I said aroung 6 PSUs have blown off till date and that too while playing games. Please let me know your views

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

One can't tell from the write up just how good the power supplies for this company is, because they don't actually tell much about the power supply output in the single review that I did find. Specs were not listed. However, it would certainly be suspect in this area. Unfortunately, a power supply can take out a CPU and motherboard if the power is erratic either on the high or low end.

In addition, a 400 watt power supply is not much by today's standards unless it is a very strong supply. For the unit you have, I would want to have a minimum of a 480 to 500+ power supply to provide the juice that it takes to run this unit. I just suspect that your supply is one of those cheap suppllies (maybe not in cost, but in quality) that will not pull a box like you have. My recommendations always are to have either an Antec or Enermax power supply (accept no substitutes) in the range of 500+ watts for best and most reliable operation. Sure, there are cheap ones out there for much less money, but their outputs don't match up with the quality power supplies. If you don't pay about 100 bucks US money for a supply, you have usually purchased junk in my opinion.

What I would do at this point:

First of all, check the voltages that are being put out to the computer by your power supply.

Second, then I would monitor temperatures; for example, the temps while the computer is at-rest and the temps while the computer is under-stress. When we get that centigrade reading, it should help to know what might be going on.

Most newer boards have an onboard program to do that, but if you don't, then here is a free download that will help:

Sandra Lite Utility

http://www.download.com/3000-2086-10018691.html

or

Speedfan will tell you the temperatures and a whole lot more. It's free

http://www.sofotex.com/SpeedFan-download_L4655.html

or

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Post back with results of your testing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,
hey guys, I stay in India and unfortunately none of the Power supplies you guys mentioned in your posts are available here.

I found a few SMPS makes which are available in India and are claimed to GOOD -
APC, Champion, Powercom, iBall, Digital, Powersafe and VIP.
Especially the make "PowerSafe" - Please have a look at these reviews -
http://www.powersafeups.com/smps.htm
http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/article.jsp?article_id=53044&cat_id=641

Secondly, now I am running my system on the onboard Graphics because I cant risk another Power Supply butn out due to my Radeon 9800 Pro. I really cant test the voltages or temperatures of my PC. I have decided to not put on the Radeon 9800 Pro till I dont get the new PSU. Hope you understand.

Which one out of these do you guys suggest me to buy ??? Please reply !! thanks -

Please let me know your views -

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
rahulprabhu_it said:
Hi,
hey guys, I stay in India and unfortunately none of the Power supplies you guys mentioned in your posts are available here.

I found a few SMPS makes which are available in India and are claimed to GOOD -
APC, Champion, Powercom, iBall, Digital, Powersafe and VIP.
Especially the make "PowerSafe" - Please have a look at these reviews -
http://www.powersafeups.com/smps.htm
http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/article.jsp?article_id=53044&cat_id=641

Secondly, now I am running my system on the onboard Graphics because I cant risk another Power Supply butn out due to my Radeon 9800 Pro. I really cant test the voltages or temperatures of my PC. I have decided to not put on the Radeon 9800 Pro till I dont get the new PSU. Hope you understand.

Which one out of these do you guys suggest me to buy ??? Please reply !! thanks -

Please let me know your views -
Hi,

Unfortunately, the links (unless I missed something) you posted did not list the specs of the supply. They were kind of like an advertisement and review without the specs. Therefore, I have no opinion since I have nothing to judge the supply on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.