Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My computer has been randomly crashing and complaining about memory problems on a blue screen a lot lately. I've tried all sorts of methods to fix this suggested by friends and other people, I've also run all sorts of antivirus/anti-spyware/anti-adware programs prior to this, but to no avail. I finally decided to simply format my hard drive and start fresh. However, when I finished formatting and tried to reinstall windows, after the completion of the first phase of installation the computer restarted. It was supposed to do this, so this is normal. But then after it rebooted it said "Installation is re-initializing" or something like that on the lught blue Windows XP installation screen and then...
The screen went black and this large rainbow-colored blob just floated from the right side of the screen to the left. And then the computer restarted and did the same thing again. And it keeps doing that every time until you turn it off.

What could this problem be and how can I fix it? None of my friends have ever even heard of a problem like this...

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Your problem may be hardware related rather than software related. What error message is given on the blue screens? Random crashes can be lots of things including your power supply but given blue screens complaining about memory I'd test the RAM first. You can test your memory with MemTest86 (basic instructions here). You can run it without Windows installed. It creates a bootable floppy or CD which you can use to thoroughly test your memory.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.