Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having problems with a serial hard drive related to reformatting. The HD is connected to the motherboard by a serial cable, I believe its a "Serial ATA". Anyway, when i tried to reformat while installing windows again, the hard drive didnt show up on the list, only the much slower and smaller IDE drive in the machine. i decided that i would install windows on the IDE drive, then format the serial drive while i was running windows on the other one. this worked, but for some reasons that i dont understand, i'm having a multitude of problems with windows on the IDE drive, probably becuase it also needs to be formatted, and the rpms are pretty low on that drive. anyway, i need to install windows on the serial drive, but it's not detected in the windows installation menu. the hard drive is only visible in windows after the software for it has been installed. any suggestions?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Wewlcome to TSF:

Are your running the latest BIOS revision for your motherboard (mobo)
you could check on your manufacturer's website / go to support/ downloads/ your board model number

there are alot bios updates coming out to improve sata drive detection

regards

joe

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Drivers, drivers, drivers.

In order for a SATA drive to show up during the Windows install you need to load the SATA controller drivers. You will get a prompt during the install to "press 'F6' to install any SCSI or RAID drivers".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ohooo.. i'm Sure that will fix the problem, that was kind of a stupid mistake. thanks a lot guys. this forum is really great, by the way, you're likely to see me around again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.