Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i currently have a 120gb sata hard drive and need a new one to add to this, however do i have to buy another 120gb sized hd or will raid still work with a 160 and 120 gb working together? (i assume that i will be using raid 0, if that's the easiest raid method)
thanks in advance :wink: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
319 Posts
The RAID should work, provided your motherboard lets you do it. As long as the speeds are the same or very similar, it will work. If you do put those drives in an array, you'll lose 40 gigabytes. The 160 will only be used as a 120 to match your other drive. Then again, it might not work at all.
A few years ago, I was able to put a 60gb and an 80gb hard drive in a RAID 0 array, and it had no problems. I did lose 20 gigs, but it just goes to show you that RAID is possible between drives that do not match. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply, i might just buy the 160gb as it is the same price as 120gb hd's that ive found and run them without RAID (since im not precisly sure what advantages raid has anyway)

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
RAID-0 will give you more speed, about 1.5x the speed of the single drive. RAID-1 will give you data redundancy, and no speed improvement.

RAID is not a substitute for backup. :smile:

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Well, it's pretty unrealistic to count on a 2x improvement, since there are overhead factors to consider when pairing dual drives. My experience has been about 1.5x the measured transfer rate of a single drive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.