Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a Maxtor 120GB 8MB Serial thats connected to an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe on the Promise SATA1 port. Did a clean install of XP Pro SP1 (slipstreamed) using the Promise Serial ATA driver's (updated from ASUS's site) during installation. Complete format and fresh install. Installed Intel INF file first then display, network then sound. Installed SandraMAX3 for OC's site and got consistent numbers of around 38K. Started installing some software, first did some basics, TWAIN driver. Ran Sandra and got basically same results. Checked fragmentation, etc. ok. Installed Paperport 9, Streets and Trips and used Network Wizard. Number dropped to about 32K and weren't all that consistent but ranged from 31 to 34K.

Shouldn't the performance be about the same if the disk is free of fragments and is basically clean or is the test inaccurate as the drive fills up or places data a fixed contiguous point in the disk - like the middle or toward the end? Or is something else going on. When I first got the drive I had it plugged into the standard SATA1 port but the performance wasn't all that stellar - numbers about 29K to start and had the Promise controller disabled.

Any other benchmarking software (free) that I should try that works under XP?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Installed Paperport 9, Streets and Trips and used Network Wizard.

sounds like it could be your problem. Delete it and see what happens...you can always reinstall it.

The Maps/street locators that I have seen aren't suppose to be installed on the HD but run from the CDrom...maybe that is why.

·
Registered
1 Posts
maxtor 160gb sata hard drive

i am in the process of building a new system.
it consists of,
chaintech 7njs zenith motherboard,
amd xp3000+ barton cpu,
160gb maxtor diamond 9 sata drive,
audigy 2 soundcard,
msi fx 5600-vtdr 128 graphics card,
nec nd1300a dvd/cd writer
having assembled everything i proceeded to install windows xp pro, but it didn't recognise my hard drive.is this a common problem with sata drives.could anybody help me with this problem please?

·
Registered
1 Posts
In my experience, Streets and Trips creates a lot of fragments. Looking at "view report" on the defragger, it's often the S&T datafile that won't defragment. I'm tempted to give it it's own partiton! : ) Or use the CD...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.