Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy my first SATA hdd as an add-on to my new pc & when
looking at serial ata cables, one thing confuses me.
This one here
says "Connectors: Two 7-Pin Serial ATA Females;180 degree to 90 degree", while this one here
says "90 degree to 90 degree".

What's the ultimate difference or should I say, what does it mean '90 degree & 180 degree'?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
linderman answered your question perfectly! :pray:

Just remember for later, that you'll need SATA drivers for the drive to pick up in Windows.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Drivers, really?
So I'm looking at a
Maxtor / DiamondMax 10 / 250GB / 7200 / 8MB / SATA-150

Anyone know where I can find drivers? How does it go, by motherboard, or what?

Yikes man. This stuff is starting to get to me.
Please help.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
The drivers you install will depend on the SATA controller you connect it to. This will be determined by your motherboard. The majority of the SATA controllers have a RAID SATA driver and a Non-Raid driver. The only controller I know of that does not need a non raid driver is the Intel controller ...... ( ICH5, ICH6,ICH7,ICH8)

The other thing to take into account is that the SATA drives take a different power connection to the normal IDE drives so if your power supply does not have a SATA power connection you willl need to buy an adaptor

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
If you have a SATA able Motherboard you should have the drivers on the install disk or as a separate floppy

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, if there's already a SATA hdd attached I still need drivers for the new hdd? I'm adding this SATA drive as a secondary drive to another already installed.
The existing hdd in my system is SATA so it's a sata mobo.
And there's one available SATA connection [there's sata 0, 1, 2, & 3 which is free.] I shouldn't need any kind of adapter.

"If you have a SATA able Motherboard you should have the drivers on the install disk or as a separate floppy"
What install disk? One that comes with the hdd?

Anyway, the hdd I'm getting is an OEM so I had to buy cables separately. Tigerdirect says 'OEM hard drives do not include cables, software, or hardware (screws, brackets, etc.).'

I was informed by another friend that I shouldnt need drivers if I already have a sata drive installed & even if i do I should be able to find them on the mfr's site (such as 'Maxtor').

thanks

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
the hard drive doesnt need drivers,

the sata controller on the motherboard needs the drivers, which must all ready be installed and operatign correctly if you are using a sata drive. As long as you connect the drive to a sata port which is being operated by the same controller as the existing operating drive.

bear in mind, often times motherboards have more then one sta controller and often times use an additional controller which can be used in raid or regualr sata drive useage.

I think you will proceed just fine, dont forget to format the drive as it needs to be formatted prior to being seen in "MY Computer"

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I believe that the existing HDD is attached to SATA 0.
SATA 0 & 1 are grouped together. 2 & 3 are also grouped together.
That would make optical drive 1 on Sata 1, optical drive 2 on SATA 2 leaving SATA 3 open.
So, would 2 & 3 be on a separate controller?
Even so, I guess it shouldn't be a big deal getting drivers.
I'm just racing against the clock with my old machine (4yrs & 2 months) & don't want any down time before my new system is complete.
Transferred over 24gb to an external hdd with usb(not 2.0 so you can imagine how long that took), & a little more than halfway through 24 dvd's or so for music & video.
The 60gb hdd that came in it is still in there running after all this time.
I'm scared & proud all at the same time. Ha.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
ahahahaha the old girl is still working her duties! thats awesome

just dont get too balled up with the driver issue, try the drive you might get lucky and away it will go, if not no biggie; just install the "other" controllers drivers found at your motherboard makers website for your mobo model.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
---------------"ALL DONE!
Weeehoo.
I'm so relieved. Didn't need drivers either.
Had no fun though. I shut it down, installed the hdd
& went into my bios. I set the SATA settings to enable SATA 3
& rebooted. Wasn't there. Oh dear. Shutdown again, opened back up, took out the hdd plugged it back in MAKING SURE the cables were connected tightly & rebooted.
BINGO!
Initialized the drive in disk management but couldn't remember how to format.
Went into create a 'new partition' & formatted as such.
All done!!!

Now I have to show off my little setup.
C: & F: are on the primary hdd, a Seagate 250gb (233 in reality) -sata150- .
D: & E: are on the new Maxtor 250gb sata.

C: = 142gb, Windows & all installed programs.
D: = 116gb, some incoming files, photoshop projects, music production projects & misc files.
E: = 116gb, Incoming files (movie, tv, etc.) My Documents containing pictures, project files, all programs & appz that I use to install from rather than discs, & other misc files.
F: = 90gb, My Music (MP3's).
PLUS
298gb external usb 2.0 hdd, Backups of C: important files, & D: & E:

Thanks guys for your patience & support.
TSF rules."----------

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.