Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone please explain Google? When I check my site's ranking (using computer+bismarck) during non-business hours, it shows up at page 49. Not at all where I want to be, of course, but it is only two months old. It is also close to if not above my competition's sites. It is not yet in DMOZ. I made it to conform to google's guidelines. The googlebot visits daily and crawls every page at least once a week. As my link popularity improves, I suspect my page rank will as well, so my current position does not bother me.

The problem: during business hours here in America, my site drops off the face of the earth. Why? Does pay-per-click take over? I am a local company serving my small locale, so really it doesn't amount to a hill of beans, but I'd like to learn as much about SEO as possible.

Interestingly enough, when I query computer and bismarck in MSN, I'm #1 at all times. So I must have done something right if I'm above all other computer companies in Bismarck. The reason I use those keywords is because I think if someone is looking for computer service companies locally, those seem likely to be the words a person may use.

I'd appreciate any insight into the puzzling world of search engine optimization.

· Registered
85 Posts
This question is an extremely complex one. Google guards its methods for site ranking quite well. Having been in your exact position before of being a newbie to SEO and the likes, I would reccomend Site Pro News . Subscribe to the Site Pro News newsletter (about half way down the page on the left side. They send out helpful news and pointers about search optimization and related news. This was a very helpful resource in my battle towards the top of the Google.

· Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response Thigley. I have subscribed to SitePro News for the past 2 months. In fact, it was their newsletter that came today that made the question arise. I was made aware of googlerankings.com, and found, as I said, that during the business day, my site is out of sight. Previously I checked my status manually.

SitePro News has taught me alot about SEO, but I feel I've done as much as I can. I really would like to know why the rankings change from one twelve hour period to the next. I guess paying for traffic is probably the "secret answer" to this question.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.