Tech Support banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a compact printer/scanner with a small driver footprint.
I have only ever had HP and they work well, but the dang software is so huge and needs to be fixed almost every time I go to use it. I want to try something that is compact and small.
I'm on a Lenovo Ideapad 310 and I want to plug it in when I need it with USB.
Thank You

·
Premium Member
41,748 Posts
All In One printers are not Compact, as you have to have a flatbed glass scanner. Some come with Automatic Document Feeders, which you may not need. They also offer printers with more then one paper tray to switch between different paper sizes and type.
In software there is the printer driver but also the Scanner software, and if you want FAX capabilities, that's more software stuff.
I have a Brother AIO which is fine and has a small software package. https://www.amazon.com/Brother-Wire...rds=Brother+AIO+printer&qid=1617395790&sr=8-4 Canon, Epson, Lexmark are other great AIO printers with small software packages.

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
did you try uninstalling the hp software that was added with the driver that you don't need? its been a while since I installed the driver but I used to go to hp and get only the driver without all the other bloat. The last printer (canon) I installed in windows, I just let windows find new hardware and install the driver.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
did you try uninstalling the hp software that was added with the driver that you don't need? its been a while since I installed the driver but I used to go to hp and get only the driver without all the other bloat. The last printer (canon) I installed in windows, I just let windows find new hardware and install the driver.
I had actually uninstalled it and let Windows 10 run things for a bit. But I do not print very often and it started going wobbly on my and I'd have to remove device then find printer every time. Today it didn't want to work doing that. Turbned out the Ubuntu computer I was using earlier got it to print. I just purchased a new black ink and I need to get a tri color to test it. I also looked at some AIO in teh store the cannon 6100 was only $129. I am going to look it up and see what the ink costs. I might just try to learn how to do refills myself and buy toner in bulk. :)

Edit- I was mistaken it was an Epson XP6100

·
Registered
67 Posts
You can do a custom installation and deselect the bloatware on most printer installations. I have 2 AIO's and never install the fax software.

I also disable the printers automatic update software in Services. That keeps it working longer IMO.

If you can afford it get a color laser printer. The office models should be more durable.They are a little more expensive but won't waste toner like inkjets do.

Every HP inkjet printer I've ever bought failed due to the print head getting stuck on the sponge or tray that soaks up the sprayed ink from cleaning. I spent a lot of money on a HP AIO office printer many years ago and lasted about a year till it broke a gear because the printer head got stuck on the self cleaning sponge.

From the repeated automatic cleanings the dryed ink built up a hard layer on top of the soak up sponge. Ift broke a plastic drive gear when the printer head got stuck in that spot and tried to move away from that location after the automatic cleaning it did every time it printed.

·
Premium Member
41,748 Posts
@dondd this is not a place to resell computer hardware or printers. It is a free forum to ask and answer tech support questions.
Also the OP is looking for a Scanner/Printer which the HP Deskjet 460 Mobile printer is not, it's only a printer.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,528 Posts
Post spunk.funk referred to has been removed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts