Tech Support banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Moderator , Security Team
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A serious vulnerability has been found with Grub 2 bootloader which is used on most Linux Distros which allows your system to be compromised ...

... there is already a patch available for this from most of the major distros, so update as soon as possible, the update will usually require you to reboot Linux.

·
Manager, - Alternative Computing, - Design
6,502 Posts
I stand with you in saying that it is a good idea to update, but I would hate to see people turn a lot of hard work into a doorstop, or a malware host. That being said I recommend that EVERYONE create a backup of your current grub config as well as a backup of your system.

If you need any help with either of these myself or others in the community will be willing to help.

·
Moderator , Security Team
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't see why you'd think that people would be in danger of creating a "doorstop" by updating.

Linux like every OS is updated regularly, and for the most part does so without issue for the vast majority of its users.

That is not to say that I do not believe that people should backup, because IMO backing up regularly is one of those essential tasks that every sensible computer user should observe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts