Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I keep getting this message whenever I try to turn on Windows Firewall, can anyone help?

·
Registered
40,765 Posts
Certain security programs disable the Windows Firewall. Windows Defender and Symantec/Norton.
Also it could be caused by malware. Please click on the link in my signature for Virus/Malware Help and post in that section of the forum for more help.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have followed both your posts but neither have worked.

In Services, I have tried turning on Base Filtering Engine which is a dependency for Windows Firewall but it says 'Windows could not start the Base Filtering Engine on Local computer - Error 5: Access is denied'

Can someone please help?

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,719 Posts
Hi, press the win+r key together, in the run box type:- regedit. Registry editor will open navigate to :-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BFE\Parameters\Policy and highlight "policy" with your mouse now go to the registry editor main menu and select "view" then "permissions" a permissions box will open You need to locate your logged on user (should be an admin account , mine is Vistatest\Paul and check the permissions as per this example:-

Be sure to click "apply" next go to start search and type:- cmd right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" at the prompt type:-

Code:
net start BFE
(press enter) let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This is how mine looks, as you can see where yours says Paul (VISTATEST/Paul) mine should say Josh, but it's just CREATOR OWNER, SYSTEM, Administrators and Users.

When I click on Advanced and go to Owner this comes up, does this mean anything?

·
7,719 Posts
Hi, select "add" then in enter the object names type:- josh(User2-PC\User) apply, OK, then check Allow in the permissions boxes for this user.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I try to add Josh (User2-PC\User) this comes up

A couple of things I should mention

1. I recently only changed the username of my Account in Windows to Josh, before that it was User, would this effect anything?

2. I am already an administrator

Here is another screen from the permissions page, don't know if this helps

·
7,719 Posts
Hi go to "Owner"

Select your user and click apply then make sure the Allow permissions boxes are checked.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi have tried that, BFE still won't start and I have tried to start it in the cmd aswell, this is what everything looks like now

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have run fixit, it identifies there is a problem with Windows Firewall but cannot fix it. This is how Policy/Permissions looks now

·
7,719 Posts
Hi, did you try the manual fix in the MS link, I find the fixit often fails yet the manual works.

Create a new user with admin rights, see if the service opens in this new account.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have tried both manual fixes except the DHCP and I have created a new user with admin rights but still not working.

·
7,719 Posts
Hi, go to start ,search and type:- cmd, right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" at the prompt type:-

Code:
Tasklist /v > 0 & notepad 0
press enter

Code:
Net start > 1 & notepad 1
press enter

Post both notepad outcomes here.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi, sorry for not contuining this thread, I haven't had access to my PC for a few months. Please see attached for the two notepad results

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.