Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Ok, so I recently re-installed windows (Windows 7 Home Prem. 64 bit, SP 1), had no issues with it before, Had this PC for year and a half, and today suddenly it gives me the above error when i try to download a file (Even windows updates) off of IE, It's also worth noting pictures do not show up either.

I have found a temporarly looparound by moving a Firefox copy onto this PC from my Labtop via flash drive, but its far from a fix. Still can't download anything, but I can see images and watch some youtube videos.

But theres another error as well when i try to download off of firefox:

I have tried changing my Internet Security settings, but they don't solve anything and they actually reset themselves back to the defualt (Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded) after about 5-10 minuites.

Pretty confident it's a windows issue and not a Networking issue as everyone else can connect fine, and iits also causing issues like "File is corrupt" whenever trying to open files, and is breaking both Firefox and IE, But if mods think this thread is more appropiate somewhere else, Be my guest to move it where it would get awnsered better.

Tried so far:
Reinstalling windows (Yes i moved my games/files to flash drive(s) and formatted my disk when installing)

Changing Internet Security Settings

Thanks in advance.

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,753 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forums you say changed internet security settings go to start, search and (copy paste) inetcpl.cpl ,,2 Open custom and make sure a check in "enable" is set for "Downloads". If you have already done this (it is this way by default) what Anti Virus do you use, and firewall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi, welcome to the forums you say changed internet security settings go to start, search and (copy paste) inetcpl.cpl ,,2 Open custom and make sure a check in "enable" is set for "Downloads". If you have already done this (it is this way by default) what Anti Virus do you use, and firewall.

Hi.

I did as you said, and i set it down to Meduim under default.

BUT, for some reason when i opened IE back up, and opened inetcpl.cpl, it opens back to what it was before (Yes i apply'd and saved it), It sets itself back to what it was before.

And i usually use AVG, but i havn't been able to download it yet due to this error.

I also scanned it with Defender Offline, no viruses.

any help?

·
7,753 Posts
Hi, well something is altering your settings, you say you you made a fresh install , then I assume you bought your backup files and folders back?

Possible that a virus is in your files the registry controls the security settings it is quite complicated and almost impossible to check remotely (too many entries) although the "TemplatePolicies" control, High, medium etc... there are two main areas one per user:-

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

The other system wide:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

I think you would be better served if you had your system checked for nasties, Post here:-

http://www.techsupportforum.com/for...-posting-for-malware-removal-help-305963.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, well something is altering your settings, you say you you made a fresh install , then I assume you bought your backup files and folders back?

Possible that a virus is in your files the registry controls the security settings it is quite complicated and almost impossible to check remotely (too many entries) although the "TemplatePolicies" control, High, medium etc... there are two main areas one per user:-

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

The other system wide:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

I think you would be better served if you had your system checked for nasties, Post here:-

http://www.techsupportforum.com/for...-posting-for-malware-removal-help-305963.html
I had defender offline check earlier, no nasties.

·
7,753 Posts
Hi, you need to have your system properly checked the tools used by our security experts are much more sophisticated and would likely find what defender missed, I strongly recommend you post there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Arlight,if you can move this to the malware section please.

using there scanner they posted now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.