Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Gigabyte GA-7NNXP motherboard with a sister board, the Dual Power System, that went up in smoke. Computer still worked but did lock up at times.
I have installed a second hand Motherboard and DPS but at the start it kept crashing. I have flashed the bios and it's now up and running.
My problem is that it says I have a 1500 cpu when I know it is an Athlon 2800 cpu. I suspect that the previous users information is still in the system, How do I change it?
I have tried to alter the cpu by using the Easytune 4 interface but that will not work it appears to have a fault, I have let the fault details go to Microsoft to see if they come back with a solution. I wonder if the conflict is cause by theprevios owners details also.
My OS is Windows XP.
Can you help?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No I have not cleared the CMOS, how do I do that?

I did remove the battery from the motherboard and left it of for 12 hours last night but when it started up it still said cpu was 1500.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If by MOB you mean motherboard, it's a Gigabyte GA-7NNXP

I have now got the easy tune display up but it will not let meinto the mode settings.
I am going to shutdown and take the battery off again tonight to see if that makes any difference since I flash the bios.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Clearing CMOS will return the board to "safe" settings. It won't hurt but it typically will not let your CPU run at design specs. It simply lets the new assembly boot with safe settings that are less than design specs.

CPU Speed = Multiplier x FSB Frequency

You don't give enough info, so assuming you have a 2800 Barton core your FSB setting will show 166MHz (twice pumped = 333MHz) and your multiplier is 12.5
So 12.5 x 166 = 2075 MHz the design speed of a 2800 Barton!

Go ahead and clear CMOS...sometimes a jumper, sometimes you need to pull the battery...depends on the mobo

Then get into BIOS and see what your settings show.

To correct your FSB setting it may take a jumper setting and/or a BIOS setting...hopefully you have the manual. If not, then maybe you can harvest the required information from the mobo mfr's website.

You need to make your adjustments at the hardware and/or BIOS level. No software manipulation will matter.

Everest Home, SiSoft Sandra and CPU-Z are some good freewares that will help you "see" inside your comp.

Good Luck,
JF
Vancouver, WA

·
Registered
935 Posts
I've got a 2800 Barton so I'm familiar with the beast.

One thing that's troubling is the 1500MHz report...that indicates a 1500 Palamino or a 2400 Thoroughbred. The latter at 15 x 100FSB (safe settings)

My guess is that it is a Thoroughbred. The mobo has Nforce2 400 chipset so it should be fine.

Joe, check your PM's

Oldmn, have I seen you at Washington Flyfishing?

Regards,
JF

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.