Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,437 Posts
I suspect a conflict between the two, any suggestion please?
Yeah, the problem is, you don't connect 2 routers together. I have no idea why home users keep doing this.
You use ONE router on your network. If you want to create an additional access point hard-wired to your router, use a switch, a wireless access point, or convert your 2nd router to a proper access point by disabling DHCP. And the wifi SSID should always be different than your primary wifi.

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,437 Posts
Fred, he did configure it as an AP, or at least he tried. Note that the WAN port is unused as he stated
Agent said he's using a 2nd router. He doesn't say that DHCP is disabled or that he's converted it to an access point. Connecting a 2nd router to a LAN port doesn't mean DHCP is disabled either. It's still running as a router.

Also, the SSID does not have to be different, I have run for years with the same SSID for a secondary router, it allows seamless transit between the two access points.
The single SSID thing seems to get spread around on home user forums and I've never seen it used by anyone working in IT. It makes people think they've created some type of seamless network they can roam through, when in reality, it's not. By default, Wifi devices & computers don't work that way, they will try to hold on to the first network they've connected to as long as possible, and they are not going to seamlessly jump back and forth between 2 networks sharing the same name. There is always packet loss when switching between APs and It's a nightmare to troubleshoot.

Agent, if you've properly converted the 2nd router to an access point, plug a computer directly into a LAN port on the AP with an ethernet cable and try to access the login page. If you have the same problem, I'd replace the AP.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts