Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have linked a second router to the main one, wired to LAN port and from this second router i run another cable LAN-computer for computer internet acces and also im using this second router for wifi connection upstairs.

Issue is, from time to time, wifi connection simply drops. I can't reconnect. Main one works fine in the meantime. Second router LAN ip address is 192.168.1.2, while main one is 192.168.1.1. If i try to acces the configuration page of the second router when the issue occurs, it blanks, doesn't load. I have to unplug replug the power to the router for everything to work again.

I suspect a conflict between the two, any suggestion please?

MAIN config page:
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

SECOND config page:
Font Parallel Number

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,461 Posts
I suspect a conflict between the two, any suggestion please?
Yeah, the problem is, you don't connect 2 routers together. I have no idea why home users keep doing this.
You use ONE router on your network. If you want to create an additional access point hard-wired to your router, use a switch, a wireless access point, or convert your 2nd router to a proper access point by disabling DHCP. And the wifi SSID should always be different than your primary wifi.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,351 Posts
Fred, he did configure it as an AP, or at least he tried. Note that the WAN port is unused as he stated. If DHCP isn't disabled on the secondary router, that could be part of the problem, I agree.

Also, the SSID does not have to be different, I have run for years with the same SSID for a secondary router, it allows seamless transit between the two access points.

·
4,461 Posts
Fred, he did configure it as an AP, or at least he tried. Note that the WAN port is unused as he stated
Agent said he's using a 2nd router. He doesn't say that DHCP is disabled or that he's converted it to an access point. Connecting a 2nd router to a LAN port doesn't mean DHCP is disabled either. It's still running as a router.

Also, the SSID does not have to be different, I have run for years with the same SSID for a secondary router, it allows seamless transit between the two access points.
The single SSID thing seems to get spread around on home user forums and I've never seen it used by anyone working in IT. It makes people think they've created some type of seamless network they can roam through, when in reality, it's not. By default, Wifi devices & computers don't work that way, they will try to hold on to the first network they've connected to as long as possible, and they are not going to seamlessly jump back and forth between 2 networks sharing the same name. There is always packet loss when switching between APs and It's a nightmare to troubleshoot.

Agent, if you've properly converted the 2nd router to an access point, plug a computer directly into a LAN port on the AP with an ethernet cable and try to access the login page. If you have the same problem, I'd replace the AP.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agent said he's using a 2nd router. He doesn't say that DHCP is disabled or that he's converted it to an access point. Connecting a 2nd router to a LAN port doesn't mean DHCP is disabled either. It's still running as a router.

The single SSID thing seems to get spread around on home user forums and I've never seen it used by anyone working in IT. It makes people think they've created some type of seamless network they can roam through, when in reality, it's not. By default, Wifi devices & computers don't work that way, they will try to hold on to the first network they've connected to as long as possible, and they are not going to seamlessly jump back and forth between 2 networks sharing the same name. There is always packet loss when switching between APs and It's a nightmare to troubleshoot.

Agent, if you've properly converted the 2nd router to an access point, plug a computer directly into a LAN port on the AP with an ethernet cable and try to access the login page. If you have the same problem, I'd replace the AP.
The computer i use is connected to the second router via LAN. When the issue occurs, i can read by router's led lights that everything is working, but i cannot accest the login page, nor connect to its wifi. Could it be current flow related? I suspect the charging adaptor going bad, but i'm not sure.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,351 Posts
We'll have to agree to disagree on this topic. In truth, I've seen this done in several companies that I've had as clients. In addition, if you go to a large mall with free WiFi, they have the entire mall with one SSID. The channels vary, but the SSID remains the same. One of the largest malls in the country is near me, the King Of Prussia Mall, that's how their WiFi is configured. I also ran this way for years, and I had no nightmare troubleshooting issues.

I currently have the Google WiFi MESH network setup with four nodes, it also displays a single SSID for my main network and another for my guest network. It's seamless all over the house, and I've never had any issues with connectivity.

·
4,461 Posts
We'll have to agree to disagree
Agreed. You're confusing apples and oranges.

Thanks. I think i will search to replace the power adapter first and then if i still encounter issues, i will consider replacing the router.
Post back if replacing the power adapter fixes it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a 2nd router connected, DHCP is disabled. It's to provide a better WiFi signal outside on the deck, which it does. But lately, it seems to be doing something similar to what the OP is experiencing, but not exactly, It will say 'No Internet' while the signal is fine. I'll then manual connect Wifi to the main (farther) router and it'll say the same,

If I don't turn the 2nd router on I can connect to the main router, but the signal is weak. But - in that situation I may have a low signal strength but never get the No Internet situation. I suppose I should just buy a Wifi extender or access point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts