Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Before formatting my computer today I transferred all my backup stuff onto my second HDD, then formatted the first and reinstalled Windows XP on it. Now I can't use my second hard drive!

I didn't realise I needed to remove the device in windows before formatting the other, is there any way of getting this data back?? I've lost 160 GB...with all my university work :( It says that the device is unreadable in the disk management utility.

Sorry if this is a bit of a newbie question, any help would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well, it should have worked without having to remove it. Try the following:
1. Reinstall Windows on the first drive.
2. Take your second drive out (remember to plug off your computer - safety first :) ) and read the data on another computer and make cd copies of your work).

If both fail please post back here and we'll think about alternate data recovery solutions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was actually the first thing I tried, but it didn't work unfortunately. I've just finished installing service pack updates 1 and 2 and tried the "import foreign drive" option from the disk management utility, however it gives me an error when I do this and won't continue :/

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

I personally would try wiping the empty OS boot drive clean with Dban Boot & Nuke because I think the drive is remembering some old configurations and files which arent really giving you a "clean" install

http://dban.sourceforge.net/ download floppy version

Make sure you remove the power plug from the DATA drive you dont want to lose during the entire process of WIPING, reinstall OS, add service pack 2then after all that is hunky dorey add slave drive.

keep us posted on your progress / ask more questions if needed

regards

joe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help guys, I just installed this program called Stellar Phoenix and it's managed to detect all the files on the HDD, which I can then transfer to my existing one.

Going to take a while since the one I'm transferring to is only 40 GB, better than nothing though! Wish there was an easier way...what exactly is the correct process for detecting hard drives after a format? I'm still not sure why the import foreign disk function wouldn't work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It could also be that your 2nd hard drive has a bad partition table or NTFS permission problems. Once you get all your data transferred off it, I would recommend doing a full wipe, start fresh, re-partition/format to NTFS, so that it rebuilds the partition table. Then it should be able to see and use the hard drive normally.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.