Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Master is a 30GB and want to add Slave 80GB. Both drives already have windows XP Pro installed on them. I'm told Plug and Play does not work with XP. Also, how can I keep the 30GB Master as my C: drive and make the Slave a different drive. Adding the second HD for more storage. These will be in a Dell Dimension. Do I need to change any jumpers or the BIOS?:pray:
Newbie Ruffitt

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Hi

Plug 'n' Play works in XP :sayyes:
All you would need to do is connect the Slave HDD to the middle grey slave connector on the IDE cable (add the molex connector too) and change the jumper around on it (a plastic sleeve around the pins) to have it as Slave. See the HDD for a schematic on it for where to position the jumper to set it as Slave. Then just boot and your Master drive that you haven't changed will stay as C: and your new HDD will hopefully be picked up as D:.

Whenever you want to boot from the "other" drive, restart your system and hit F8 (sometimes its F4) after POST (the first black screen) and choose the HDD to boot from then hit enter. :smile:

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
You might have to run a repair install on the added drive in order that it will run in it's own right and not start to boot then flip to Drive C.

I am assuming you want to be able to choose which of the 2 installations will be run as you boot up.

To run a repair install, boot from your CD ROM with the XP CD. It will stop to ask you if you want to run the repair console,
YOU DON'T.
Select Install XP
It will ask you to agree to the license, Hit F8 to agree & continue
The next stop will be to start the install but it will highlight both your Installations. It will ask you if you want to repair the installation. You'll select the installation that you want to repair and then select R so that the repair will begin. Wait for the repair install to finish and when you finally reboot you will be given a choice of booting from one of the 2 installations.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.