Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To alleviate the huge strain on my poor, pathetic 7.85 GB Hard Drive, I decided to add a spare 10 GB Hard Drive I recently formatted. I have tried just about every form of connection conceivable and it will not work.
When I connected it as a slave to my original HD, (replacing a little used Zip Drive) my computer consistantly assigned it as the C: drive, dispite proper jumper settings, cable assignments and even configuration in the BIOS.
Next I tried assigning the new drive as Secondary Master with my CD drives as slaves, and the computer recognized everything properly except the new HD. Even in the BIOS, everything was detected but the Secondary Master. Suggestions?

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

I feel that you know about proper jumper and cable setting, but let's go through what you should have done to make sure you didn't miss something. O.K., I admit that I know but still miss some things some time, so I am putting this to you to make sure:

IDE............................Slave.............................Master
Blue Connector.............Gray Connector..............Black Connector
.....................................Set to Slave...................Set to Master
..................................Middle of Ribbon Cable.......End of Ribbon Cable

Make sure your BIOS in that area is set to AUTO.

Another common error when adding a drive, is that the original drive on the cable has the jumpers set to Cable Select and when you add a slave....no workie.....so, check the original on that cable and make sure it is not set to Cable Select. If one is set to Master, the other should be set to Slave....If one is set to CS, then the other one must be also.

Check this out and get back to us.

·
retired
1,966 Posts
Download the manufacturers Disk utilities, with it you will be able to clone the OS drive onto the 10G drive, then use it as the master.

see reference: Seagates' Troubleshooting Master/Slave Problems
Normally the newer drive will need to be the master. Different BIOSs and ATA controllers can impact this. If you have determined that both ATA drives are jumpered correctly for master/slave and they still do not work, try to bring the new drive up as a stand alone or single drive. If the new drive works fine as a stand alone and fails as a slave, try bringing it up as the master with the original drive as the slave. Jumper changes will be necessary on both drives.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everything is set up properly- my current configuration is Old HD- Primary Master, CD-ROM Drive- Primary Slave, New HD- Secondary Master, CD Burner- Secondary Slave. And my computer refuses to detect my new hard drive at all. (Note, when I say new hard drive, I simply mean new to the computer, I think it is actually older than the first one). I think I'm going to have to go back to the configuration I started with and transfer everything.
I'd still like to know why it's assigning C: to my slave, though...

·
retired
1,966 Posts
how did you format it?

storage drives are a straight format-no system files are needed because it doesn't need to be bootable.

if you format it and transfer system files (ie: format x: /s) then it's a bootable drive and that can confuse some bios.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just straight formatted it. When it was attached as a slave to my original HD and I would try to start up, the computer would tell me that no operating system was found.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

I used Western Digital provided software to reconfigure this drive and it's working now. But I have another problem. My current configuration is Original HD: Pri. Master, CD-ROM: Pri. Slave, New HD: Sec. Master, CD-RW: Sec. Slave & only my hard drives are registering. And they're in MS-DOS Compatibility mode. And both of my IDE controllers are flagged. What'd I do now?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Try putting both hard drives on the primary ide connector on the mobo / then the cd drives on the secondary ide connector

see if that straitens them up

generally speaking / when you see the yellow exclamination marks in the device manager for your ide controllers it means the drivers are missing or messed up / you can download new versions from your mobo website if you know the mobo manuf and model # ????

if not / try the everest utility to help you ID the mobo

http://www.zdnet.de/downloads/prg/1/x/de011X-wc.html

regards

joe

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I fixed the compatability mode and flagged devices issue and got everything set up. I found that if I swapped my configuration around (old HD slave, new HD master) it would boot to the old HD, so I re-formatted my larger HD and everything was working fine. But then the next time I went to start up, the system would go through the preliminary start-up stuff but when it reached the point where Windows should start loading, it shows a blinking underscore (like it usually does for a couple of seconds before loading) and stays there, even if I try to boot from floppy. I can only get Windows to boot by disabling my larger HD. What's that about?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I will venture a guess and say your drive was formatted using a DDO utility (Dynamic disk overlay) that assists older bios to use bigger drives than they normally would be able to use / however Windows isnt liking the DDO now ???

if this sounds like a possibility to you (fix below) / I dont know the complete history of the drive ???? :)

you could wipe and clean the drive with this free utility / it will erase the presence of DDO / then reformat the drive and load the OS / sounds like it should take care of your problem

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

it takes a fair amount of time to run this utility (about one hour for 6 gigs / watch the progress indicator while its running )

regards

joe

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, I wiped the drive clean and got a blue screen error saying that, "VFAT Device Initialization Failed. A device or resource required by VFAT is not present or is unavailable. VFAT cannot continue loading. System halted." I then booted with the boot disk and fdisked the recently wiped drive as a slave. Now I'm back to the same boot hang-up I had before. I have to disable the drive to boot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, after a hard restart, I was able to bring everything up (but I've been here before, it was after formatting that I had problems last time). I'm running ScanDisk now and I'll post back when it finishes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.