Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, it's my first post to this forum, so I hope you all will treat me with kid gloves until I get my legs under me.

I have a second hard drive that I wish to install in my computer as a slave. I have a Dell 4400/P4 1.7gig/512megs DDR/20gig Maxtor.

My question is......this should be an easy proceedure, but I want to make sure that everything goes ok. Is there anything important I should remember?
I also want to format this drive after I've installed it.

Advice and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Welcome to the board...dont worry about getting you legs kicked out till you been here a while:angel: -even then it is all in fun...good thing i have my arms or I would REALLY be in trouble:winkgrin:

OK

so is this drive new or old

Idealy...other will be more persise but here we go

open case...put drive on cable...check jumper setting and insure the main -boot drive is set to master and the new drive is set to slave...seat cable and reseat them to make sure theare secure...

when you boot enter your BIOS -del or F1 or something to that effect...it should say at boot up...go to IDE auto detection and see if the drive are found...if they are great...if not check your cables, jumper settings power connections

when you boot up and go into my computer the new drive letter should apper...the first time you go to use it windows is going to ***** it is not formatted...then do it for you...when its done your done...

Good luck and stick around

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for replying so quickly.

To answer your question, it's a used 15gig hard drive. I'm getting it from a trusted friend, so I'm not worried about virus's cause I know he always practices safe computer sex. :rolleyes: Don't ask me how I know this little tid-bit , I'd only embarrass myself anyway.:D

So anyway, I'm installing it to act as a storage place for all my music and movies.

Thanks again for your time and energies.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.