Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time on these forums and they look dam good which is obvisouly why i posted :) thanks for any help in advance

I put together my own pc about 4 months ago when the motherboard came it didn't work no idea why myself and a few friends thought it was just a dodgy motherboard..so i ordered a new one...it came i installed it and it all works perfectly...well it did rather up until 2 days ago...

I switched of my PC (it hung on shutting down so used power button) went to bed and got up the next morning and poof...its stopped working absoluty no idea whats happend to it but its the same as before..will explain..

I turn my PC on and with all connectors ie IDE/Power Cables plugged in nothing works...no sound coming from Harddrives...no monitor display...no sound from cd-rom / unable to open cd rom..strange? thats not half of it when its just the power plugged in they start up and u can hear them working fine the fans work on the gfx card (have tried 2, 1 powered by PSU other by mobo)

I initially thought it might be sumthing to do with BIOS so i reset it manually...no joy same thing happens again..browsing through forums i found a similar post (not exact but close) telling sum1 to build pc out of the case as it might be something to do with this...so i tried this and though i head my HD ticking away...when listening very closely unplugged IDE cable and HD sprang to life..so no closer...i really need my system back ASAP and i'm out of ideas i will ring the company up tomorrow for them to send me another one out probs but it won't be here till mid week and i don't want this happening again...so...any ideas?

System...

ASUS K8V SE Deluxe
XFX GeForce 6800 GT 256MB
AMD Athlon64 3400 [2.4,200,754]OEM
80GB Maxtor D/Max+10ATA133/7200 8MB
40GB Maxtor (old hd just data storage again works ok for ages)
Thermaltake Silent Boost K8 AMD64
1 x Kingston 512MB DDR333 PC2700
1 x 512MB DDR333 (used in old pc which i got built for me externally don't think this is problem as have been using it for 4months with no problem)

Any advice would be appreciated so so much you wouldn't belive

Cheers

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Talk to us about your power supply. What brand, what wattage, what is the output on rails? That might help us to know more about your unit.

The second issue is mixing different brand and/or latency of memory chips. In modern computers, this is simply asking for trouble and the success rate of doing this is almost nill.

I would clear CMOS again (this time take out the battery and also move the jumper by moving it to 2 and 3 and then back to 1 and 2) and take one stick of memory out and see what happens. Always be sure that your memory is on the motherboard QVL memory list listed in your manual. Be sure you leave it in the correct slot (check manual), because some do not have a single stick in the first dimm slot.

Oh, when you did the basic build out of the case, did you use just the basic setup with no drives, no pci cards, etc????

Post back and maybe we can help with some of these issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry forgot to include that

My PSU is 550W ATX Power Supply

I understand that 2 chips can make bad bad but would it fall over after 4 months of using it? and why would this effect it the first time it happend or am i just being thick ? :)

When i built the PC out of the case i only included the Kingston memory stick which i know is supported by the motherboard, all that was on the motherboard was 1 HD drive (so i could see if it was working) 1 512 Kingston memory stick and a old AGP card that didn't need its own power supply...again same effect

The memory is meant to go into the first DIMM1 according to the manual

I will try removing battery etc ......................

just done that and still no response still nothing working or giving a signal back to the mobo fan spins on AGP card but no ouput to monitor, hd doesn't make a noise but with ide cable out it does

i'm about to ring the company to see what they say aobut getting me a new one even though this is the second time this has happend its still sumthing to do with the mobo i'll let you know how it goes,

i think i answered all your Q or i hope so

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I am afraid your generic PSU is not cutting the mustard (very common problem)

You need to invest in a GOOD quality unit / like Enermax or Antec
they make the best PSU's that have a BALANCE of high quality and cost but they will still cost you about $100.00 for a 550 wat unit !!
There are better PSU's than these bu the cost is $200.00 and over >>> you now you can evaluate the worth of the $35.00 dollar PSU's >>> the most common problem seen is the case and PSU combo's >>> if a case and PSU combo doesnt cost $150.00 or better then you probally got a junk generic PSU

check newegg.com or ebay

regards

joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah sorry that was a bit dum of me not to list the product

its a EZCOOL 550W ATX Power Supply its from a UK site http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductsList.asp?Name=550W+ATX+Power+Supply

I'm not convinied its the PSU though although it would explain why both seem to have the same problem

I didn't change the PSU the first time the motherboard failed and this motherboard has worked for 4 months without fail up until now with no extra power required from it its died overnight? i mean its powering all the components fine as the fans are spinning and the hd is ticking over when the IDE cable is not plugged in ? surely it should be the other way round in that case?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
was just advised it could be the thermal paste so i checked that out still lots on there and no effect on it at all still nothing from hd etc hope u guys get this cus i need to order a new Mobo if i don't find out what it is that helped last time so should do again i hope..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
few people have mentioned i could off some how corrupted my bios? i have tried to reset it via CMOS and nothing has changed its still seems dead held off ordering a new part will do that tomorrow unless somethign dramatically changes ie it works again lol

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Gregt said:
was just advised it could be the thermal paste so i checked that out still lots on there and no effect on it at all still nothing from hd etc hope u guys get this cus i need to order a new Mobo if i don't find out what it is that helped last time so should do again i hope..

I didn't change the PSU the first time the motherboard failed and this motherboard has worked for 4 months without fail up until now with no extra power required from it its died overnight? i mean its powering all the components fine as the fans are spinning and the hd is ticking over when the IDE cable is not plugged in ? surely it should be the other way round in that case?
Hi,

When you say lots on there, your statement bothered me. With thermal paste, more IS NOT better. In fact, a small blotch the size of a grain of rice is enough to do the whole CPU/Heatsink area. And, if you took it apart to look and did not clean it off and replace (thermal paste)it, that is another problem, because when you do that, you actually create gaps in the thermal paste which in turn creates hot spots.

Actually, if a motherboard is set up correctly, should last you for many, many years without problems, so getting another one is not the problem if it keeps tanking on you.

I really don't know the power supply you have, so difficult to say if that is the problem, but at least, it is very suspect.

I guess I didn't understand, are you telling me that all fans run and it lights up when the IDE cables are NOT plugged in, but when plugged in, it does nothing?????? Have you tried a new IDE cable? Please explain this exactly to me...what happens when no IDE cables are plugged in and what happens when they are not connected?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When you say lots on there, your statement bothered me. With thermal paste, more IS NOT better. In fact, a small blotch the size of a grain of rice is enough to do the whole CPU/Heatsink area. And, if you took it apart to look and did not clean it off and replace (thermal paste)it, that is another problem, because when you do that, you actually create gaps in the thermal paste which in turn creates hot spots.
by alot i meant enough i know u ain't meant to put alot on it my bad explained bad, and yes i cleaned it and reaplied the paste after i took it apart

Actually, if a motherboard is set up correctly, should last you for many, many years without problems, so getting another one is not the problem if it keeps tanking on you.
indeed so whys it died twice? really confused me so its gotta be sumthing effecting it

I really don't know the power supply you have, so difficult to say if that is the problem, but at least, it is very suspect.
I made sure before i bought the PSU that it was enough to power what was needed and i still think it is 550W is plenty surely?

I guess I didn't understand, are you telling me that all fans run and it lights up when the IDE cables are NOT plugged in, but when plugged in, it does nothing?????? Have you tried a new IDE cable? Please explain this exactly to me...what happens when no IDE cables are plugged in and what happens when they are not connected?
All Fans run no matter if the IDE cable is plugged in or not (in regards to gfx/cpu fan) if the IDE cable is plugged into DVD-ROM/HD nothing happens its just dead if i remove the cable the HD powers up with the pc.

To recap

IDE Plugged into HD...No Noise, Seems No Power nothing just dead as is the same with DVD-ROM/GFX card (obvisouly when just plugged into slot no output signal to monitor)

IDE Not plugged in...HD powers up makes noises etc etc...GFX still doesn't give a signal out to the monitor

Do u guys give out msn or mirc ? just to talk easier as obvisouly your in US some where and i'm in UK

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Gregt said:
indeed so whys it died twice? really confused me so its gotta be sumthing effecting it
I suspect that either something is faulty in either power supply quality or continuity, or the video card and it is not the board that is aat fault. Again, you are there with it, so you might know more about that, but from what you have told us, that is what I suspect.

Gregt said:
I made sure before i bought the PSU that it was enough to power what was needed and i still think it is 550W is plenty surely?
Don't take too much stock in the wattage of a power supply being the all and end of what quality it is. From what I found in the search, you have a very middle of the road priced power supply and on the forum, an underpowered (yes, even a 550 underpowered) power supply causes probably 40 to 50% of the problems that are similar to yours. It is too bad that someone you know doesn't have an Antec or Enermax power supply that you could try with your unit. That would give you a quick answer if that is one of the problems.

Gregt said:
All Fans run no matter if the IDE cable is plugged in or not (in regards to gfx/cpu fan) if the IDE cable is plugged into DVD-ROM/HD nothing happens its just dead if i remove the cable the HD powers up with the pc.

To recap

IDE Plugged into HD...No Noise, Seems No Power nothing just dead as is the same with DVD-ROM/GFX card (obvisouly when just plugged into slot no output signal to monitor)

IDE Not plugged in...HD powers up makes noises etc etc...GFX still doesn't give a signal out to the monitor
Let us start back some and try to resolve some of these issues.

1) Take the motherboard out of the case and place it on a non-conductive surface (cardboard works well) and plug in only the following: ATX connector, 12 volt square molex connector to motherboard, CPU/Heatsink/Fan on the motherboard and fan connected to the motherboard, only one stick of memory, the video card, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and the speaker wires on the front panel header, and the off/on switch wires.......Nothing else....no drives of any kind, no IDE devices, no pci cards, no wires....nothing....nada....zip. Fire it up and tell us exactly what it does.
Do the Lights come on, does the board stay on, does the monitor light up, does it reboot, anything on the monitor besides light, Does it give a beep error, of so how many, what sequence???? Just any detail that might help us to pinpoint a possible problem.

2) While we will be waiting to hear back from this, I want you to check the following:

a) Are you using an 80 connector IDE ribbon cable or the older 40 connector cables?????

b) How do you have the drives hooked up to the IDE??? What is on IDE #!, what is on IDE #2, list brand names, how are they jumpered, and where on the ribbon cable are they???

3) If you might have a friend who has a computer that would let you hook your unit up to a better power supply, that might answer some of your questions about that issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I understand that it is very unlikely that the motherboard is at fault but all the other components bar PSU work in other PC's so i don't think its them (HD/GFX/DVD-ROM etc)

If the PSU is the problem why has it worked for the past 4months ? this is why i find it very strange that the PSU could be the problem and suddenly fall over last night with no other hardware etc added? I've tried another PSU on it unfortunatly its just another bog standard PSU so doesn't prove much.

1) Take the motherboard out of the case and place it on a non-conductive surface (cardboard works well) and plug in only the following: ATX connector, 12 volt square molex connector to motherboard, CPU/Heatsink/Fan on the motherboard and fan connected to the motherboard, only one stick of memory, the video card, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and the speaker wires on the front panel header, and the off/on switch wires.......Nothing else....no drives of any kind, no IDE devices, no pci cards, no wires....nothing....nada....zip. Fire it up and tell us exactly what it does.
Do the Lights come on, does the board stay on, does the monitor light up, does it reboot, anything on the monitor besides light, Does it give a beep error, of so how many, what sequence???? Just any detail that might help us to pinpoint a possible problem.
I already have done this put it on cardboard box used the PSU, CPU, Heatsink, Fan all on the motherboard with one stick of memory and the video card but no monitor no mouse. I'm not quite sure what u mean by speakers on the front panel header? but the on/off wires are in ofc.

The light on the motherboard is on, theres no beep it just turns on like it should be running normal but there is no signal output from the GFX card and there is nothing from the HD either when it is plugged in...

so any other ideas? i mean could the mobo be fried sum how?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.