Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We run IE7 on Windows XP. Out of the blue, it started doing odd things. If you try to type something in the search box on the top right, the history menu pops up. If you try to type something in the address bar, the window will close completely. I get the same things if I try accessing let's say Google from my favorites and then typing something in the search there. What could be causing this?

We did recently acquire a trojan, which our antivirus (Kaspersky) took care of, so I'm hoping that's not the cause still.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just thought I would add, I ran a virus scan again today and computer is fine. I decided to upgrade to IE8 and see if that would make a difference. Nothing changed. I just tried doing a system restore and the computer will not let that even run.

Help!

·
Registered
263 Posts
It could be malware or the browser itself.

What's your operating system?

You might wanna uninstall IE8 and IE7 and go back to IE6 if you're using Windows XP.
Or if you have any other browser like firefox, safari, chrome so we can check if it affects all browser or just IE. Try running malwarebytes, spybot, ad aware or any antispyware program just to make sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It could be malware or the browser itself.

What's your operating system?

You might wanna uninstall IE8 and IE7 and go back to IE6 if you're using Windows XP.
Or if you have any other browser like firefox, safari, chrome so we can check if it affects all browser or just IE. Try running malwarebytes, spybot, ad aware or any antispyware program just to make sure.

Our operating system is Windows XP Home Edition, version 2002, service pack 3.

We don't have another browser besides IE and unfortunately because of the way the computer is reacting, I can't access the internet to download anything like Spybot, etc.

I've done a full scan of our virus scan (Kaspersky) twice now and anything it finds, it seems to take care of.

I don't know how to go about uninstalling IE and reinstalling. Can you direct me to instructions for that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well this is odd, I just checked our computer again and now it's working! :4-dontkno Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't act up again. Thanks for the help.

:smile:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Glad it fixed itself.. but there's still a possibility that it might occur again.

So while the browser is working, try downloading malwarebytes, spybot or ad aware se update them and run full scan.

For future reference, you can uninstall IE by going to control panel > add/remove programs and look for internet explorer 7. If you have installed IE8 then on add/remove programs you need to click on view installed updates then in the list of installed updates look for IE8 and remove it.. removing IE8 will get you back to IE7 and removing IE7 will get you back to IE6. Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.