Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,

I was working on my computer when suddenly it start slowing down. I first thought that there was process slowing everything down then i decided to reboot. But when i rebooted and i used explorer to check my files on my harddisk, it didnt show my second HDD.
So i rebooted but then it frooze at bios POST. each time i restart the computer it stops at the bios POST. so i unplugged both harddrives and then bios worked and i could get inside by pressing DEL. When i connect the first HDD which is a seagate Barracuda 120 GB (ST3120023A) it hangs at bios POST again.

I checked the seagate website and the only thing that i find is the following link: http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/bioslimit_338.html

I dont understand why the bios wouldnt recognize my HDD and all the jumper settings were right cause it has been working for atleast 2 years.
But i changed the jumper setting like they said in the link above.
And when i boot up the computer, it performs the POST and im able to go in the bios but all settings looks normal to me EXCEPT that it doesnt recognize my HDD. How come the motherboard(or bios) cant detect my HDD when in the past it did.

I burned a boot disk with the DiscWizard Starters Edition and i used it but the problem is that i cant perform any diagnostics in the DiscWizard cause the computer doesnt recognize my HDD. DiscWizard says something like NO DRIVES FOUND.

Im really desperate :4-dontkno cause all my work files are on it.

Does anyone had the same problem or do you have any ideas why it doesnt want to recognize the harddisk.
And when i put the jumper back on master it freezes again in the bios.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try it again but as i recall. Bios would freeze if i didnt set the jumper to < 32 GB.

But i didnt try to set the jumper on <32GB and connect it to the second IDE channel. I will try it and let you know.

I asked a couple of friends the same question and one responded and said that i wouldn't be able to repair the DDO and still be able to get the files on it.
He suggested just like you that i should connect it on the second ide channel but on a motherboard that doesnt have a problem with recognizing big hdd.
I need to test it on a more recent motherboard so I wouldn't have to think about DDO.

Hopefully i would be able to get the files i need when i connect it as second drive.

What do you guys think? Would it work
Cause I dont know alot about ddo.

Gosa

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Hello:

all you need to know about DDO is avoid it with the same priority as you would a rattle snake when your pants are down !!

DDO(dynamic drive overlay) makes file recovery almost non-existant or impossible

the best solution is to not mess with your old configuratation / you run the risk of messing up some boot files or partition table or something which will render your drive inoperable.

I would try the drive as a slave in another newer computer (one thats not limited by the 32 gig limitation) copy over your important data / then use a drive eraser to zero fill the drive / you will need a bios update for your old motherboard and then re-install the OS .

dont hesitate to ask more questions

regards

joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.