Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have Seagate External hard drive 4Tb only about 2 years old but start slowing down drastically since last week. It's about 50% full and still readable in Windows but opening folder is like extremely slow.

I tried to move 10Gb data from it to my internal SSD hard drive and it took more than 12 hours! The transfer speed ranged from 0 to 355KB/s, but mostly zero.

I read about some method like defragment it or chkdsk but it will take forever. My Kaspersky Security warned me that the disk health at 30% and about to fail soon. Looking for solution. Thanks in advance.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
31,463 Posts
chkdsk /r should only take less than 2 hours on the external unit. Set for overnight if you wish.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,035 Posts
If you're seeing a S.M.A.R.T. health of 30%, the disk has bigger issues than defragging or lost clusters! What does a full S.M.A.R.T. report say about the disk?

Here's PasssMark DiskCheckup, a free utility to check the S.M.A.R.T. status of your drives.

Windows also has a built-in capability to check S.M.A.R.T., it's just not as verbose as 3rd party tools. Windows 10: Built-in tools for Hard Disk Health check

Given your observations, I'd say these tools are going to tell you to run, not walk, to the nearest computer store and get a new disk.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
31,463 Posts
OP edited his post to include the last sentence after I responded.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In the last 2 years I have had 5 Seagate external drives fail, I refuse to use them now they are so unreliable. I now use WD and so far all good. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, once Seagate were bullet proof this is no longer the case, at least from my experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts