Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve used Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 (1TB, SATA) for backups for about 3 months. Suddenly it stopped working – it starts spinning, than clicks and stops spinning, this repeats again and again. Certainly I’m hoping to recover the contents. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
Seagate had an issue with firmware on the 7200.11 drives. Check the serial number on seagate's site and see if this drive was one that was affected. If it is, and the drive is not responding. It will have to go back to Seagate. If it is not an affected drive, the condition you describe has several possible causes. Firmware, Corruption or damage in the Service Area of the drive's platter, bad heads, or platter damage. If the drive is identified in BIOS is it identified as 0GB cpacity? What is the model number of the drive (ST#######)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seagate had an issue with firmware on the 7200.11 drives. Check the serial number on seagate's site and see if this drive was one that was affected. If it is, and the drive is not responding. It will have to go back to Seagate. If it is not an affected drive, the condition you describe has several possible causes. Firmware, Corruption or damage in the Service Area of the drive's platter, bad heads, or platter damage. If the drive is identified in BIOS is it identified as 0GB cpacity? What is the model number of the drive (ST#######)
Thanks for the advices! I’ve checked with Seagate and they admitted that the drive is affected, but stated that the symptom has nothing to do with the firmware glitches. Obviously they refused any assistance with the data recovery.
I’ve tried a few “old” tricks (frozen the drive, tried to run it in different positions, replace the control board), but it sounds like it stuck at certain incomplete "position" – either trying to find something or enable to finish some command. Would the firmware flash help?

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
No, the flash will probably fail since part of the firmware is on the platter. What you describe is a physical failure involving the heads, preamp or actual platter damage. Sounds like something that will require professional recovery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem with a 500 GB unit (secondary disk with data) :sigh:.
Bios detects it, windows try to start (entry screen), but after seconds the screen becomes black and still remain. Seagate say it will replace the disk, but no hope to get my data back. Any suggestion will be appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
@dino - please start your own thread so we can provide individual support, you have added this to two threads and that makes it difficult to provide support in multiple places. Please provide detailed information like configuration and model numbers of your drives.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.