Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I recently got a Simpletech NAS 160gb hard drive.
This is connected and working very well.

I also had a Seagate 160GB External harddrive which was connected to one of my laptops via USB an WinXP Pro.

I decided to move this Seagate and add it to the Simpletech which would give me an additional 160GB of NAS.

From the 'user guide' it seemed pretty straight forward. USB, power and away you go! Or so it should have been like that!!

SimpleTech's config admin sees the drive as a 'foreign disk' but I can't seem to see the drive or its contents. Since I can't see the drive, I cannot |add a network place| nor |map a drive letter| to it, so that it would show under |My computer|.

Can anyone help on this?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take control = 'claim' in the disk management.

But this comes with a warning "if you continue then you will lose all the date on this disk"!:4-dontkno

Will try it again anyhow. I might have to move all data on the Seagate to my pc. claim the drive and then reload the data onto the seagate.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Yes, you seem to like that specific knowledge bulletin :grin:. I've recently done a migration of drives on a Windows server system where the 80GB Maxtor was formatted under disk management. When the upgrade to server 2k3 was complete, the same thing happened. I had to "Import a foreign disk" in disk management if I remember correctly. I didn't lose any data, but I think I remember it asking me about an option. One of them would wipe data, the other just imported it and allowed it to work normally. Toy with your options, but don't destroy it yet...

-Eddie

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not able to assign a drive letter to the SeaGate drive but I did manage to make it 'visible' under 'my network places'.

SimpleTech's techsupport dept seems to be made up of a single solitary person!!

Thanks for all your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.