Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The Questions:
- Is it possible to attach to the AIC7899(scsi u160) some u320 scsi disks??
- Is it possible to mix u320 and u160 disks in the same cable in this u160 board?
- Is there a compatibility disk list on the adaptec AIC7899 adapter?

- - -
DETAILS:
In my specific case I have:

- 2 adaptec AIC-7899 adapters (68pin**) on a Dell PowerEdge 1400sc running Linux.
- a Quantum Atlas 10K III, 18GB (Ultra160/LVD/SE)

As long as I know the adaptec AIC-7899 is an Ultra160 scsi board. But I have 2 Ultra320 scsi disks I'd like to atach to it:

- 2 Hds Seagate Cheetah 10k.7 (Ultra320 scsi; 80pin**; 36.8GB)

** The board is 68pin and the new disks are 80pins. My guess is I need 68pins disks or an adapter cable.

Thanks in advance,
Jadson Igor Siqueira

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Well, the disk are compatible, though they may be limited to the slower speed if they're mixed on the same cable.

The 80 pin disks are SCA disks, made for hot-swapping. If you shop around, you can come up with SCA to SCSI Adapters to solve that problem. Note that is just one I found on a search, I'm not implying you should purchase from them. If you do a Google Search on SCA to SCSI Adapter, you'll find a ton of them.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Just to add a bit to John Will's info / make sure when you buy the 80 to 68 pin SCA adapters you get adapters that are LVD capable / or your drives will run at 40/mbs (you can buy the 80 to 68 pin adapters cheap on ebay)

The U320 drives will do fine on the scsi chain with the U160 drives / however to get tru U320 perfromance they muct be run on a 64bit bus and with a 64 bit scsi controller

Your controller is a 32bit controller and your bus most likely is a 32bit PCI mobo with a 32bit OS like Win XP etc / therefore the best performance possible is U160 which is still faster than most all Sata drives !!

enjoy

joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.