Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

My current HD setup is something like this (excuse my lack of lingo): WinXP O/P is on my SCSI drive, "Channel 1 Master"... and my documents and what not are on my regular ATA/IDE Drive, "Channel 0 Master"... I also have a DVD ROM attached

Here's my problem... When I boot, right below the Drive detection section, it says "Channel 1 no 80 conductor cable installed" and "Channel 3 no 80 conductor cable installed"

I have replaced those darn cables 3 times each, all being 80 pin... The only 80 pins in there are going to my ATA/IDE drive and DVD ROM (blue into motherboard, opposite end to IDE/ATA drive, same deal with DVD ROM cable minus the blue end). Still won't go away... Is it possible that my master/slave set up is messing up my computer? I updated my BIOS last night (A8V-E Deluxe) Whats going on???

If I don't resolve this problem, does the error pose itself as any performance reduction problem to my machine?

Please help :sad:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update

I moved the SCSI drive from SATA_1 slot to SATA_0 slot and the IDE channel 3 error disappeared... Yet the IDE channel 1 remains...

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

When you say scsi drive / are you sure you dont mean SATA (serial ATA) drive
there is no way to connect a true scsi drive to a sata connection / scsi drives need a scsi controller card to function ?????

please clarify / then we will see if we can iron out your problem ?????

regards

joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey there, sorry about the lack of knowledge, bare with me...

I have a drive with a red cable connceted to a port on my motherboard and it is hosting my OP, my regular 80 connector cable drive is my "my documents" drive (if you will)

Does this help???

·
retired
1,966 Posts
IDE 80 Conductor (40 pin) Data Cable

Blue: attaches to the motherboard.
Black: (opposite end from blue connector) for single drive or main (often refered to as master) drive.
Grey: (middle of the cable), used for additional drive (often refered to as slave).
The edge of the ribbon colored red identifies pin 1 on connectors, usually it will be facing the power cable on most drives.

This cable is necessary for proper operation of ATA mode 3 and up hard drives (Ultra ATA/66 plus).
It isn't necessary for ATA mode 0-2 or ROM drives but they can be used on the cable same as the ATA/66-133 drives.

USING an 80 Conductor cable...
A single drive must be connected at the end of the cable, connecting a single device to the middle connector (grey) isn't supported-which can cause errors.

Device Jumpers
1. This cable is designed for Cable Select setting.
2. Alternatively, the Single/Master/Slave setting can be used.
3. A combination of CS and M/S ( 1 and 2 above) cannot be used together on the same cable, use either 1 OR 2 but not both.

The PC (and the hard drive) can detect the presence of a 80 conductor cable. If it's not installed, or drives connected wrong, then a POST error message may result, and the drive will not operate at optimium performance-if at all.

Most motherboards built since 2000 can handle the newer ATA/66 drives, though a bios update may be necessary for ATA/100-133 drives. Some hard drives can be modified with utility software, (available from manufacturer), to set the drive to the maximum mode that the motherboard can handle (as identified by the motherboard specifications webpage, or user manual).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.