Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My work PC is running Win XP Pro. I am logging into a Novel network and the computer is utilizing Novel’s ZENworks suite.

Here is my situation. Many of the settings on our computers are “controlled” through the IT department in another state. One of the settings that I would like to change is the screensaver. Right now the screensaver is set for ten minutes of inactivity. The biggest problem I have is that if the screensave kicks in, the workstation locks and I have to log back in. I find this to be a colossal pain in the azz as I am often away from my workstation for more than ten minutes. When I attempted to go into the screensaver settings by right clicking on the desktop and choosing properties, the screensaver tab isn’t there. The only tabs that come up are Themes, Desktop, Appearance and Settings. Is there a config file that I can edit manually to make it so that I don’t have to log in every time the screensaver activates?

Getting the IT department to loosen the screensaver strangle hold is not an option.

Thanks,

-Lydokane-

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Hi, we can't offer any advice in the forum about bypassing IT dept settings, but if it's ok to install 3rd-party software on your work's computers, try this...

Mouse Move can be set to move the mouse every few minutes.
http://www.download.com/Mouse-Move/3003-2317_4-9488347.html?tag=lst-0-1
....One potentially useful application for Mouse Move is for those who have an annoying screensaver at work yet can't change Desktop settings; this program will keep your mouse moving and, thus, your screensaver at bay.

·
Registered
30 Posts
awww thats a shame :( i spend my whole day at the technical support call center i work at just trying to bypass stuff! lol i favourite is changing screen saver to windows slide show one and putting a linux screen shot and the not so clever people thinking its been hacked! :)

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Your IT dept has set/placed those settings for a reason, their reasons of course.
There is no way we can help you bypass an IT's settings, even if we can we wont.

Contact your IT dept to resolve your issue, we will no longer try to assist you with this.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
closed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.