Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running XP pro with a profile. I have my screen resolution set to 800 by 600. Everytime I reboot, after about 5 seconds the screen goes blank and then comes back on with the highest resolution the video card can handle all on its own. I tried deleting my profile and redoing it and it still does it. I have to manually change my screen resolution everytime I use the pc.

·
Global Moderator
51,638 Posts
I suggest you start by downloading the latest video drivers for your card. Uninstall the existing drivers, reboot and install the new ones.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a brand new system with all the latest drivers. It is an OS problem definetly not a video driver issue. PC's dont go from 600 by 800, to 1280 by 768 by themselves because of a driver.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
hmm

sounds like you know enough to fix this by yourself...

but, what i would do is find someone who has a monitor capable of that setting, and plug it in long enough to change it back to what setting you desire...

thats what has saved me from this monster in the past...

~BoB~

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
heh

well, i was suggesting that as it seems that what is being said is the machine immediately jumps to a higher resolution, as if someone had set to that and then rebooted in a state of panic.

if the screen is set back to a usable resolution, then that will most likely solve the problem....

it has when idiots bring their machines to me with that same problem...

so i dont see the point in installing the driver...

i know when i reinstall my video driver, it remembers my resolution size, so i dont see what that would help.

and i would say the same for quite a few times i seen this problem.

~BoB~

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
hmm

i went and tested it too see if youre onto something johnwill, and when i boot in safe mode it only gives me minor options for resolution and color.

after changing it in safe mode, and then rebooting, it stayed there though, so i was able to set it where i wanted it...

so that might work for this situation too.

~BoB~

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The monitor and video card I have can handle almost any resolution I set it too. The problem is that I want the pc to stay at 800 by 600 resolution. Upon rebooting, the pc reverts to a higher resolution than desired. When you set up a profile on a pc, it is supposed to "remember" your settings such as screen resolution for ever. It has the desired resolution when the pc first boots up but then changes after about 5 seconds to a higher than desired resolution.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm not a gamer but don't some of them allow you to change the resolution automatically? Perhaps you have a game or similar program that is changing it. You might check msconfig and see if there is something running at startup or maybe ctrl/alt/delete and see what is running.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is a clean install on a brand new system running XP pro. If I promote the user to administrator, the resolution settings stay. As soon as I demote the user back to user status, thats is when the resolution reverts back. When you set up a profile and choose a resolution, it should be exactly the same everytime you restart.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.