Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a "no static" :sleep: strip on certain HP screens (may apply to other brands too) where you aren't supposed to touch - however I did. The screen is fried. Is the motherboard going to accept a replacement screen? :cool:

Thanks

To clarify, screen was working fine until I touched it there.

· Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,607 Posts
As the American Band the Tubes used to sing "Don't Touch Me There" ☠

You can hook up an External Monitor to the laptop to see if it still works

· Registered
5,922 Posts
This has a baring on the internal motherboard connector?
Thanks in advance.
The reason that SF is asking you to connect an external monitor is to ascertain whether or not electrical or mechanical damage has occurred to the laptop's video module. It will do you no good to replace the screen if it's not the screen that's causing the problem.

· Global Moderator
44,607 Posts
You have yet to mention the Model# of the HP laptop?
This has a baring on the internal motherboard connector?
It should have an HDMI connector or USB-C port on the side of the laptop where you can connect an HDMI cable and plug it into an external monitor or TV to see if the computer is still working.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NB I actually haven't put it together for some time, it's in kit form from when I disassembled it. I have the parts but not the tools - it's just small Philips head (cross) screws in deep holes. I had abandoned the idea forgetting monitors could be external/peripheral.

So what if it works? No guarantee an internal (regardless of proper handling) is going to work in these circumstances?

· Global Moderator
44,607 Posts
We assume that since you posted this thread you are interested in Diagnosing the laptop and want to fix it, unless you keep it in a box.
The point of using an external monitor is to see if the rest of the computer works and then you have to decide if it's worth your time and money to fix it.
This computer has a HDMI port on the side of the computer. You can get a HDMI cable and plug that into a TV or use an Display Port Adapter to plug it into a Monitor
Here are the specs of the laptop

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok thanks it is the G5 version with HDMI. I screwed the case back up without the mobo in which scotches my intention right now to fix it as the mobo has to be in the case to use the keyboard. The G5 is more worth-fixing.

· Global Moderator
44,607 Posts
The Specs for the computer are in the link in Post #11. A Quick Google search comes up with
The maximum screen resolution for the Intel® HD graphics 620 is 4096*2304 via HDMI cable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts