Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, been a while. Here is my problem. I have a Dell XPS 7100 desktop PC running Windows 7 home premium that a bought from a family member. Everything has been fine for the last year until now. I would wake up in the morning and the computer would not wake up. The power light is on but nothing would get the screen to come on. I have to hold the power button down and force a restart. After the restart things seem to be fine until after it has been idle for a length of time then it freezes again. I have already changed the sleep settings to never and changed the USB port settings to stay active and not close to save power. Now the computer still freezes but I can see the desktop. Nothing works, mouse, keyboard, ctrl-alt-del, nothing. Any help would be appreciated. I thought it could be a video driver issue, but it freezes with the desktop open. :banghead:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I will try and run the verifier. I started the computer this morning in safe mode and let it run all day and it did not freeze.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ran the verifier and it did get a BSOD twice. I followed the directions and started up in safe mode and restored to the restore point I created, but when I pulled up the minidump there was nothing there.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I wonder if the restore point somehow lost it. You don't need to use restore points for Driver Verifier. All you need to do is just disable it while you're in Safe Mode, then you can go back into normal mode.

There is another thing you can do to make sure we get the BSOD information, under the condition it somehow doesn't write a crashdump:

1. Type "advanced system settings" in Start Menu.
2. Go to "Startup & Recovery" settings.
3. Uncheck "automatically restart" option.
4. Press OK.
5. Setup Driver Verifier again.
6. Restart system.

If it shows up a BSOD now, it won't automatically restart. Take the time to write down the following:

1. BSOD code
2. 4 arguments in parentheses next to it.
3. Driver name (if present)
4. Any mention of it attempting to create crashdump and if it was successful or not.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have attached a zip file of the dump. Just in case here is what came up on the 2 different BSOD screens.

***STOP:0x000000C4 (0x0000000000000081)(0xFFFFFA8010A544E0)(0x000000000000008A)(0x0000000000000000)

***STOP:0x000000C4 (0x0000000000000081)(0xFFFFFA800D89D570)(0x000000000000008A)(0x0000000000000000)

Both times the crash dump was successful.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
You said both crashdumps were successful yet I only see one crashdump?

Anyways, both crashes are actually identical, in that it's catching mcdbus.sys (MagicISO driver) doing something funky. The driver itself is old, as in pre-Windows 7 old (Feb 2009), so it's about due for an update, or perhaps just uninstalled altogether for the time being.

Understand that because you selected just about every non-MS driver in the driver list for Driver Verifier, DV will leave no discretion on what driver bugs it may find. If it finds something it's going to crash the system, regardless whether or not that particular bug actually has been causing your system's instability. Our intent right now is to just root out all bugs that can cause instability right now, and hopefully it ends up catching the one that's been causing your problems.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Oh, btw, this goes without saying, but just to make sure it's probably best to do a complete upgrade sweep of your drivers, that way we are far less likely to have DV catching false positives when trying to find out the real cause of your instability. This includes BIOS and any necessary firmware. Just go to the Dell website and look for those particular to your Studio XPS 7100 system.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
If you want. Best to take this time to also go and do some driver updates. Since you have a Dell system, just go to their tech support site and download and update all the drivers/BIOS/firmware associated with your laptop.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went to the the Dell site and checked for updates. There was a video driver update and a BIOS update. While I was there I ran Dell's diagnostic tests and it said that the hard drive was operating outside normal parameters and it should be replaced. If I replace the hard drive I will lose all of the software that was installed on the computer. I have the original CDs and Windows 7 disks that come with the computer, but I don't have access to the aftermarket software that was installed afterwards. I will lose a couple of thousand dollars worth of video editing and motion graphics software that was installed prior to my purchase of the desktop. any chance of saving it?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have noticed that if I am doing something on the computer it doesn't freeze. The diagnostic test I ran took an hour and I moved the mouse around every so often during the test. If I leave the computer alone for an hour and come back it will be frozen. Weird.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
You can do a clone of the entire drive using something like Clonezilla, that way when you restore it it'll be identical to what the previous drive was (make sure the size of newer drive is same or larger). Just do a disk > image operation where it'll store everything into a compressed image. You may need to set an option at the end to have it ignore bad sectors that it hits. You also will need to do a CHKDSK /R prior to it. You can set an exception in Clonezilla, but it's recommended to ensure filesystem is ok before copying.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok I went to the local Best Buy and purchased a new 2tb HDD. I installed it and cloned my original to the new one. Unplugged the original, crossed my fingers, and booted up. Everything appears to be there. I let it sit for several hours, came back and everything was working as it should. So I guess the HDD was the problem. I appreciate your help in this matter. :thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.