Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running XP Pro SP2 and our F/P Servers are running 2K3 Server.

I have scheduled two different tasks to run on my PC using my account. I am a local administrator and have full access to the shares that are referenced in the .bat files specified in the scheduled tasks. The tasks run as specified when I'm logged in. One task specifies a .bat file located on C:\ and the other task specifies a .bat file located on a network share (2K3 Server).

Another local administrator whom has the same access to these network shares will occasionally login to this PC. While this user was logged in we noticed that the scheduled tasks do not run. When the tasks are manually run from the scheduled tasks applet they show "running" and appear to complete as the "last run time" changes (but the Command Prompt window never appears). Upon further inspection it's apparent that the tasks are not completing appropriately. If I browse to the .bat file specified in the scheduled tasks and run it from that location it completes without issue (Command Prompt window launches, etc).

If I change the "run as" user to the currently logged in user then the tasks will complete.

I located the below from Microsoft. I have tried the registry key addition as well as the hotfix without any success. Due to the fact that I'm already running SP2 the hotfix would not complete installation because I was already up to date.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887572

http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows XP/sp3/Fix113024/2600/free/203856_ENU_i386_zip.exe (I can provide the hotfix .exe if necessary)

There aren't any events in the event viewer that indicate an issue.

The below is taken from the Scheduled Tasks Log.

**This is what it looks like when the task completes successfully when run under my account.

"Task Scheduler Service"
Started at 1/15/2007 9:12:18 AM
"Cobra1 - NETLOAD.job" (NETLOAD.bat)
Started 1/15/2007 9:12:28 AM
Finished 1/15/2007 9:12:38 AM
Result: The task completed with an exit code of (0).
Started 1/15/2007 9:15:06 AM
Finished 1/15/2007 9:15:15 AM
Result: The task completed with an exit code of (0).
[ ***** Most recent entry is above this line ***** ]

***The below is what it looks like when the task is run from another user account.

"Task Scheduler Service"
Started at 1/15/2007 9:21:30 AM
"Cobra1 - NETLOAD.job" (NETLOAD.bat) 1/15/2007 9:21:49 AM ** WARNING **
Invalid working directory..
The specific error is:
0x00000003: The system cannot find the path specified.
Verify that the directory exists and try again.
Started 1/15/2007 9:21:49 AM
Finished 1/15/2007 9:21:49 AM
Result: The task completed with an exit code of (1).
[ ***** Most recent entry is above this line ***** ]

The pathing information is obviously correct if the task runs without issue under my account. I can also manually locate the .bat file specified in the scheduled task and run that without any pathing errors.

The tasks are not specified to "run only if logged in".

I need these tasks to run under the specified "run as" user account whether that user is logged in or not.

Please help!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.