Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends computer does work fine, but it just won't get through scandisk all the way. He tried scandisk running windows, but it keeps restarting. So we did the one in DOS, before windows, and it gets to about 85% complete. It then gets to 90% and then goes back to 85% starting a cycle that keeps going and going. He's told me it has something to do with crosslinked clusters and his Temporary Internet Files. He's deleted all of his temporary Internet files also. He's also done an updated virus scan. Any ideas or suggestions. He's running Windows 98SE.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Cross linked clusters are the fault of a filesystem going the way of the titanic. I would suggest he reinstall at some point in the future, while its not going to kill anything in the mean time.. just gonna be annoying :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cross linked files/clusters

I know that re-installing windows wont work. My HD has the same problem, its a real pain. I have installed win98 SE many times and it still doesnt work. If there is a way to fix this problem, PLEASE E-MAIL ME!!!!!!!!! [email protected]

·
Global Moderator
51,480 Posts
The only real cure for cross-linked clusters is a re-install. I'd do a backup of any important data and start over.

Rich777, you have defective hardware if a brand new install still has cross-linked clusters.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.